Thread: Anyone know details on a "Women Tone"?

Forum Member

Anyone know details on a "Women Tone"?

Hi,

I have been seeing these tone mods for a tone control called a "Woman Tone".
    It looks like it's just a capacitor, but does anyone know what value is used?

Re: Anyone know details on a "Women Tone"?

clapton-->sg-->neck pup-->tone rolled all the way off-->fuzz box-->marshall (preferably a plexi) whatever value cap that would equal...;)

but seriously, a neck hb euipped guitar with the tone rolled down should be pretty close. on a strat you could probably use the neck/mid posish and it that would work too.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

fezz parka

Well, that's close.:hee

clapton--->Les Paul/SG--->bridge and neck pup--->tone rolled off only one of the two pickups ( I like to roll off the neck). On a Strat, use the 2 or 4 position and roll off either the middle or neck tone knob depending on whether you're in 2 or 4.:yay

Forum Member

Thanks guys.
    I not so much looking for how Clapton got the tone. But what size Capacitor is used by people making these "Woman Tone" tone controls.

I thought you had to use a Soldano for that?
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

TFF Stage Crew

Sure, at one point or another, but Clapton had Marshalls (and a Vox or two) long before Soldanos.

Lots of examples of "woman tone" in his Marshall Bluesbreaker days.

fezz parka

The stock capacitor is fine, although I do like the .015 PIO Gudemans that I've got in my LP Custom thanks to :spose.

Forum Member

I don't think I am getting through. There is a capacitor mod for a Standard tone that is meant to simulate the woman tone. Specifically on a Strat.
    I am trying to find out the value of that particular cap. It's not a stock value.

Has anyone else heard of this?

TFF Stage Crew

Tuto, you are getting through. What everyone is trying to tell you is that the capacitor mod is kind of a joke. To get the tone you simply use your volume & tone knobs (and fingers of course).

It's the same as the "mod" that will allow you to sound like SRV by adding a certain preamp chip to your guitar.

Why "simulate" the woman tone with a new cap modification when you can get it already without one? :)

(And, with apologies, no--I don't know the cap value you're after for said simulation).

all scarcasm aside, i believe they use a lower value cap than stock. most fenders ship with a cap measuring around .05 or so. most gibsons use a .022 or so. these are never really exact, but close. from what i remember the "woman tone" cap mod is basically wiring in a smaller value cap into a strat. thus creating less treble roll off when using the tone knob. but this also frees up more top end when the tone is on 10 cause less treble is bled off. so basically what you are doing is rewiring your guitar so that when the tone is on 0, it sounds like if the knob was stock and on about 4. so save the time and money, unless you feel an absolute need to, and learn to get that sound with what you got. and this is coming from a guy who can't leave well enough alone.

Forum Member

"woman tone" is a vintage-gibson-humbucker thing /Clapton-Bluesbreakers-Cream , no fender stuff......

LP or ES or SG, toogle in mid position/// neck PU: vol/3 tone/1-3 bridge: PU 10/10

the neck PU adds a touch of warm dark growling to the screaming bridge PU....

But I personally never could get this sound with fender stuff.......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pc

(And, with apologies, no--I don't know the cap value you're after for said simulation).
    Oh Well.
    Thanks anyways for the help guys.
    I'll check some other places and see what I can find.

I'm not personally looking for something that will make me sound like Clapton. I am literally just trying to find the exact value of the cap used by the so called women tone controls. Be them lame or not.

I have a customer that bought one a while ago from someone and liked it. And he want's me to send him a harness with the same tone mod. But he has no idea what value the cap is. And I would like to at least come close so it sounds the same. All he requested was a tone pot with the "Woman Tone".

I'll just use .01 and see what happens.

Thanks again
    Tom

fezz parka

Tuto, you are getting through. What everyone is trying to tell you is that the capacitor mod is kind of a joke. To get the tone you simply use your volume & tone knobs (and fingers of course).
    Exactly.:yay

Yeah, "woman tone" is a Gibson thing.
    But for what you're trying to fugure out, I do a seach for reviews of the gadget(s) in question. I'm sure someone somewhere will quote the pot values.
    Good luck.:yay

BTW- Whasshappenin' fezz?
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

Tuto, you are getting through. What everyone is trying to tell you is that the capacitor mod is kind of a joke.
    If that's what everyone is trying to tell me, then I am not getting through.

I searched all over the internet for the cap value on this mod and couldn't find it. Thought I would try some forums.
    Still no luck.

I'm just looking for a specific cap value. Not a magic, make me sound like Clapton Box. I don't even play Clapton's music.

Thanks for trying.
    I'll try some other sources.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Tuto
    I searched all over the internet for the cap value on this mod and couldn't find it. Thought I would try some forums.
    Still no luck.
    If a google search for "Hogans Heroes Episode 23" produces 79,500 hits (which it does, believe it or not), and you can't find one reference anywhere to the cap value you're looking for...

I dunno, there might be a reason is all I'm saying.

Having said that though... I did use Google, and the answer to your question appears to be .015. Here is one example from a few pages I found that all seem to concur on this value for a "Woman Tone mod."

http://www.angela.com/catalog/capaci...ngela_PIO.html

Scroll down until you see the .015 cap listing.

Again though, MY point is, you are the one who asked for details on "Woman Tone." I didn't necessarily infer you wanted to sound like Clapton, but that you wanted to know what was involved in getting it originally--and doing a mod to replace the caps in the guitar have nothing to do with what is involved in getting it originally.

By which I mean, please ignore all the thoughtful answers to your question, and go buy a .015 cap. :lol

quit trying to be helpful jack...

TFF Stage Crew

Yer right. "No good deed goes unpunished..."

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster
    quit trying to be helpful jack...
    :rolleyes:
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I have a .010 in my Tele.. For some reason it sounded better than a .022. or a .050.. I tried them all and this one seem to sound the best... I wonder why?

And another thing, I took the control cover off my Epi Les Paul, and it looks like the pickups are not direct soldered to the pots, but there is like a plug socket. The pups are connected to one end, and you just plug them in...

Do they do that on Gibson's also?
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

Ok, I think the point is to simulate "woman tone" with fender equipment.

Maybe some special wiring could be succesful..........

You can use Trim-Caps and test the effect on tone
    with variable uF values........

Or just take the different caps from 0.01 up to 0.05 with try and error.

Try the early LP volume style wiring (Treble Pot to Volume Poti output) and the standard wiring (Treble pot to Volume pot input) with different caps

But i dont think that just the right cap value will save the problem, because "Women tone" is a two PU-mix-thing

Maybe better use one PU with seperated tone or volume control.....and different caps...

Forum Member

sorry forgot one thing......try linear tone pots 100 or 300 kOhm used in many vintage LP`S.....

good luck.....

fezz parka

I'm just looking for a specific cap value. Not a magic, make me sound like Clapton Box. I don't even play Clapton's music.

Thanks for trying.
    I'll try some other sources.

There isn't a specific cap value. Use your ears. The stock .022 is what was originally used to get "woman tone". Leslie West used to get a pretty good "woman tone" and used the stock caps. There ain't no magic number. Use your ears.:yay

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve
    BTW- Whasshappenin' fezz?
    SOS bud.:)
    Last edited by fezz parka; 08-06-2005 at 12:05 AM.

Forum Member

Having said that though... I did use Google, and the answer to your question appears to be .015. Here is one example from a few pages I found that all seem to concur on this value for a "Woman Tone mod."
    That's all I needed to know.
    I already knew all the other stuff you were saying. That's why I had to keep asking the same question over and over and over. Because everyone was answering everything but the one question I was asking.

I know you were just trying to help and be thorough. I appreciate that. I wasn't trying to be rude, I just needed a quick direct answer to a specific question. And I was on a short time line. Sorry if that came across the wrong way.

I don't appreciate the insinuation that I am some how stupid because or worthy of a just because you couldn't answer the question I asked. But this is an internet forum and I am used to that kind of behaviour and pretty immune to it by now.

It took a while. But problem solved.
    Thanks to everyone that helped.

Tom

That's all I needed to know.
    I already knew all the other stuff you were saying. That's why I had to keep asking the same question over and over and over. Because everyone was answering everything but the one question I was asking.
    I have been seeing these tone mods for a tone control called a "Woman Tone".
    It looks like it's just a capacitor, but does anyone know what value is used?
    The original question was vague, and implied you didn't know if it was just a capacitor value, or whether there were other components involved. Hence the variety of answers you received.

If you had asked "What value capacitor do I need for The Woman Tone, then you probably would have gotten a direct response for a modification. They're pretty friendly folks here.

When you consider that the guy responsible for the Woman Tone played a stock guitar, set up just like Fezz Parka listed on post #3, then you realize that a mod to get a stock sound is a bit ridiculous.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

TFF Stage Crew

Glad you got the info you wanted.

www.google.com

It really works. :)

I think you guys are exceptionally restrained and polite. No-one actually pointed out the obvious to Mr Tuto that he was not asking a specific question, he was actually asking a stupid question (at least not so bluntly or in so many words). But ultimately he got the answer he wanted (a stupid answer, of course), so I guess it's all good. (If it's on google, it must be true... :))

Very polite community here. I really am impressed.

-Mark