Thread: Got to check out another EJ strat

Formerly joe mama

Got to check out another EJ strat

this one is nicer than the first one I had checked out for a few days. It was #56. Still could use a string tree but the high E is tolerable. This one is the 1500th or so EJ that Fender made, and the angle is still not right. Why don't they figure out they need more angle on that string?

This one is also a little heavier and more solid feeling than the first one. It shows in the tone as the tone has "more" to it. But it still blows my mind how it sounds very much like ash in that these guitars seem to have a scooped tone with the alder body. The tone sounds more like ash to me. Very snappy and scooped.

Compared to a couple relic strats, it's definitely thinner sounding. Very pristine. The relics sounded very woody and warm, something I think is more of a true vintage characteristic. I don't know what the Custom Shop does but they still manage to make the most gorgeous sounding strats. It's funny because many of the specs of the EJ are closer to vintage specs than the relics.

I've read a lot of reviews and it seems like the consistency is there with these EJ guitars.

Re: Got to check out another EJ strat

Mine just came into stock yesterday. Can't wait to pick it up. 2 tone. I was wondering about a string tree too. My Am Dlx Fat Strat does not have a tree but when I played another E.J. That angle seemed less that my Dlx. I'll try it out and may just put a tree on the E.J. in the end. I will put a trem cover on for sure.

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

Formerly joe mama

I don't mind the no trem cover thing. I'd always take mine off anyhow. Quick adjustments are easier.

I noticed on this one that, whoever put the strings on, put more wraps than I thought was possible on all the posts! This is to create more angle which is needed on the E and B strings but on the others it creates too much angle and the strings are sticking in the nut.

So instead of Fender fixing the no string tree thing, they just wind them all the way down the post!!

I played the EJ all day today. The tone is very good, especially on clean. Big piano clean on this guitar. But the super thick lacquered neck is driving me crazy. It's like glue! Feels just like an American Vintage. Reall gooped on.

If I keep it this guitar, I'm gonna strip off all this finish. Anyone know how to do it easily? Paint stripper? Probably not good to get on the frets.....

Quote Originally Posted by 69strat
    But the super thick lacquered neck is driving me crazy. It's like glue! Feels just like an American Vintage. Reall gooped on.

If I keep it this guitar, I'm gonna strip off all this finish. Anyone know how to do it easily? Paint stripper? Probably not good to get on the frets.....
    My 52RI Tele was that way. I fixed it by just not whiping it down after use. I had my son play it all the time as well. He has very corosive sweat. After about a month I did clean the neck and all that tack was gone. Just give it some time before anything drastic like stripping it.

brianf

Formerly joe mama

No, I'm serious Brian. I want it down to bare wood! Maybe I'll oil it, but usually I leave it raw and play it in.

It'll look funky at first because of the orange tint to the neck, and bare, white maple, but as it dirties up, it'll look good. My '66 is like that from age and use, and I got spoiled by that raw wood feel.

I want to know what's the easiest way to take the finish off the EJ neck!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 69strat
    No, I'm serious Brian. I want it down to bare wood! Maybe I'll oil it, but usually I leave it raw and play it in.

It'll look funky at first because of the orange tint to the neck, and bare, white maple, but as it dirties up, it'll look good. My '66 is like that from age and use, and I got spoiled by that raw wood feel.

I want to know what's the easiest way to take the finish off the EJ neck!!!!
    Call a good furniture refinisher in your town. I think they would know the best.

brianf