Thread: New Big A**sed Ernie Ball String sets

New Big A**sed Ernie Ball String sets

I forget. Is this where we put the "What kind af strings do you use?" threads? ;)
    Ernie Ball has a couple of man size gauge string sets. Although they were probably designed for the low tuning crowd, they really work well for what I do.
    I got a few of the Not Even Slinky sets (.012-.056 with a .024 unwound 3rd)for my G and D tuning electrics. What a big, fat tone. This set has the perfect gauges for these tunings. On these guitars I am mostly playing slide and lower position rhythm so the .024 3rd doesn't bother me. I very rarely bend the 3rd on these guitars. I have normally made up custom sets for these tunings but always had trouble getting a large enough unwound 3rd. That .024 plain is a monster.
    I also got a few of the Beefy Slinky sets (.011-.054 with a .022 unwound G) for my standard tuning Fenders. Before my Sat. night gig I put a set on my Strat which was set up for Power Slinky .011's. After readjusting the trem springs for the (substantially) increased string tension and tuning up I hit a open E chord and whoa!!! What a great sounding low end. The .022 G definitely let me know it when doing a full step bend but overall I didn't have any trouble playing the set.
    I'm glad EB put out these sets. They work really well for my live setup.

Re: New Big A**sed Ernie Ball String sets

yep, big strings are the sland. i can't play ernie balls cause i kill them really fast. glad to hear ya found some strings that work for man!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

I *love* Ernie Balls strings! They're the only ones I use. They have some real tension in 'em!

I buy my strings individually because there isn't a set designed for me. I tried a plain 24 G, but I thought it lacked any sparkle. Going down to 22P fixed that problem. It's sparkly and has a lot of body in it.

For the record, my string gauge is : .13, .17, .22P, .32, .42, .56.

It took about two years of constant change and experimentation to find this perfect balance. I find strings are underrated in the tone chain and that most people, given the chance would be amazed at the difference they can provide.

Forum Member

I find strings are underrated in the tone chain and that most people, given the chance would be amazed at the difference they can provide.

Couldn't agree more ! The number of "repair" jobs I've done just by getting folks to change their strings must be in the hundreds by now.