Thread: Set Neck Tele - Truss Rod Question

Set Neck Tele - Truss Rod Question

I have a new set-neck Telecaster.

Mahogany, Set Neck, Modern “C” Shape,
    (Polyurethane Finish)
    Fingerboard Rosewood, 15.75” Radius (400mm)
    22 Jumbo Frets

I've had it for a few months. It was set up nice right off the floor. Intonation needed some adjustment, but they all do for me.

I do all my own set up except truss rod. For some reason truss rod adjustment freaks me out.

Tonight I noticed some fret buzz at the lower frets (3rd to 5th). I'm pretty sure that loosening the truss rod a hair will fix this.

I once set a truss rod on a Strat. I found Fender specs for string height and a method using two capos. Does anyone here have the Fender setup specs for a Telecaster?

Is it typical for a guitar to settle in after a few months of playing and a change in weather?

Would y'all tweak the truss rod or wait to see where it's going? Maybe it'll settle back?

Edit:

Found this:

http://www.fender.com/support/setup/telesetup.php

Re: Set Neck Tele - Truss Rod Question

yeah sounds like your on the right track, if it's buzzing on the 3-5th fret it means the neck is too straight, an needs some relief.
    The capo thing there talking about. is where you take a capo on your 1st fret, then you hold down the strings at the bottom last fret. This is to see how straight your neck is, cause there should be a gap at the 5th fret between the strings (but not too big of a gap) the alternate method of doing this is taking a 20 inch ruler an resting it on your frets. But the cap thing is way faster an easyer. ALSO THE MOST IMPORTANT thing when adjusting your truss rod. IS do all your measurements an adjustingwith the guitar in your lap, in the playing position.(like your gonna play it) cause if you rest it on your lap or bed, or bench. when your doing this.. your gonna get wrong readings. cause the neck(do to gravity or some other unknown phenomina haha) is in a differn't position .. then when your playing it

GS, I carry the truss rod wrenches in my cases. Nothing to it. I fret the first and 22nd frets using both index fingers, and then check the relief with my pinky. Good rule of thumb is to use your high E string diameter as a relief gage. With 9's or 10's, if you just see it move when you tap it you should be about there.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

fezz parka

I do it the same way Chuck does.(Except I use my pinkies to fret the strings and my thumb to check relief.:hee) FWIW, as long as the fret slap isn't heard through the amp, I don't worry about it.

Yep. People get WAY to bent out of shape over a little fret slap. Hell, a good Tele needs it to sound right.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

fezz parka

Teles are the kings of fret slap! Every one of mine does it. Elliot Easton told me: "It's part of the Tele funk!".:hee

Slap them frets! :spin
    Last edited by fezz parka; 06-14-2005 at 11:30 AM.