Thread: Ouch! My G-string is too tight.

Ouch! My G-string is too tight.

My g-string broke 5 days ago (hehehe g-string), but seriously, I think there might be a problem because it broke again today. I have noticed that I'm breaking a string around every 3 or 4 days, and it's always by the saddles. I have filed down the saddles after every time I break a string so I'm pretty sure the strings aren't being cut by a sharp thing. I'll appreciate any advice.
    "The finger pointing at the moon is not the moon."

Re: Ouch! My G-string is too tight.

I would do two things

1. polish the saddle where it string contacts to ensure the filing left no burrs

2. Get some Big Bends Nut Sauce. I use it on my '56 Relic and cannot say enough good things about it.

If those 2 steps are unsuccessful, just replace the saddle. Maybe go graphite or the new metal ones with graphite inserts

Thanks jinx.
    I put some pencil lead on the saddles and it seems to be working pretty good.
    I've heard that graphite saddles work even better. Do they work?
    How much do they cost approximately?

Forum Member

Yes, they do work. I suggest you get yourself a pair of GraphTech String Savers saddles. They are definitely worth it! It's one of the most logical and rewarding investments one can make, since for the cheap price they can be bought for, you'll save plenty of strings alone.

Some say they change the tone, which I have found to be true, but in my experience, it was actually a welcome change. The tone was more organic and complex afterwards. In contrast, previously the tone was metallic-sounding and rather one-dimensional. Obviously, it won't make a crappy guitar sound good, but for me, it was a step in the right direction.

They make various models to accomodate the different itirations of the Stratocaster Fender produces. If you have a regular US Strat, you'll need to go for these : http://www.graphtech.com/cart.asp?ID=1005

I agree the graph techs are the way to go. I do think the solid graphite change the tone somewhat, and can look bad depending on what you are going for. Just as Strat-Mangler linked you to, I recommend the all metal ones with the graphite inserts (Ferraglide). Best of both worlds.

south of something, north of somewhere, west of over there and just to the east of where I left my sanity. Right where I wanna be. Chunga chunga it's the sland!

I had the opposite experience to the mangler when I tried graphite saddles, and sold them on. My strat started to sound one dimensional, especially at the treble end of the spectrum, and stopped cutting through. I passed them on to a buddy who worked in a function band, they worked fine for him as he wanted to sound less obtrusive.

Hey, it's rediculous to change them all. If only one is breaking the strings, after trying all the obvious solutions, just replace that saddle. Only 1/6 the cost and aggravation. And no loss of twang.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

That's assuming that he would experience a loss either way. Most people wouldn't change exclusively a single saddle, because it would look strange and out of place.

They come as a set and you can't buy single ones.

As you can see, there are different experiences when it comes to those saddles. The high-end isn't as piercing, which was good for the bridge pickup. The "tone hit" was incredibly tiny in other pickup selections, though. The very slight difference was easily compensated for by toying with the amp's EQ. And whether or not there is actually such a slight tone hit anyway, nobody will ever notice in a live band anyway.

I suggest you try them anyway and just return them if you don't like them.

Well thank you everyone. I put some graphite from a pencil on the saddles, and so far its been working. If it that doesnt work anymore, I think i'll get some graphite saddles.

THANK YOU
    :)

Okay, just putting pencil graphite on the saddles doesnt work. I just broke a b-string 3 days ago. Then today I broke the b again and the g moments later. I think I will need some graphite saddles.

Strat-Mangler, you can buy single saddles. Any competent repair shop will have them. Or you can buy a whole bridge on eBay that was swapped out and only use one.

I've done a few saddle changes in my day. Getting one to match is a peice of cake. And usually, somebody will give you one if you need it, so the fix is free.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

south of something, north of somewhere, west of over there and just to the east of where I left my sanity. Right where I wanna be. Chunga chunga it's the sland!

I just had a thought, yeah I know, it was a little unusual.

Are you sure that the saddles are the problem? Have you checked the hole where the string passes through the bridge? If the saddles have been filed down, cleaned up and lubricated, perhaps the problem lies elsewhere.

Well the strings always break right over the middle of the saddle, so i think that the saddles is cutting it

I went to my local gui tar store today to get some graphite saddles, but they have to order them. The tech said that the saddles were almost definitly the problem. Said that once the strings get through the chrome on the saddles they get sharp very easily.