Thread: Fender Japan Precision '57 and '62 RI's, opinions?

Forum Member

Fender Japan Precision '57 and '62 RI's, opinions?

Although they are not anywhere near as accurate re-issues as the US Fender releases are, I hear they are well made good quality basses. They are available in Lefty models which US Fender does not offer.

They are both the same price. If I go by the tone of the samples posted at the US Fender Website for the US 57 RI and 62RI Precisions, I'd pick the 62. But I don't know if those samples correlate with the MIJ versions or what settings were used to make those samples anyway. I like the look of the '57RI and I like the Maple fretboard.
    Anyone have any advice concerning the 2 models from Japan?
    I'd especially like to hear from Japan RI '57 P owners if there are any here. How do you like it? Can you get plenty of deep funk and punch out of a Japan P '57RI?
    Anyone have experience with both the 57 and 62 Japan P's? Thanks

Re: Fender Japan Precision '57 and '62 RI's, opinions?

I have a '57 RI and it's a great bass stock.It plays great and the fit and finish is first rate. I have several basses but I find that I gravitate towards this one the most especially for recording. I imagine some would like to change the pickups but I've found no need to. There's definitely a lot of punch to it and it will handle the funk if you can crank it out. I wouldn't hesitate to get one. They're really great basses especially when you consider the cost. Mine's a Candy Apple Red one, shown here with my other CAR guitars.

VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Forum Member

Thanks Fripper,
    That's a handsome little Fender menagerie there. Is that a Japan RI '57 P? If so, must be an older model. They only offer it in sunburst and black now. Not a problem for me, sunburst will do fine but that red is red hot!

Yeah it's an 80's model so it might not be relevant to this discussion but all the MIJ Fender's I've had have been well worth the money.
    VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Vince, you need to haul them in this:

Ayatollah of Dumbassollah

facebook: Stephen Doc Watson

Forum Member

Nice ride.

More comments on the Japan Precision '57 and '62 RI's would be appreciated.

'57 CIJ

'57 AV

You can see the number of pickguard screws aren't the same. Some small things. However, I bought the CIJ with the intention of changing the neck to a fretless. It's so damn nice the way it is - there is no way that I could do that. Both basses are excellent, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by doc540
    Vince, you need to haul them in this:

That would be great. I've got to take another picture because since then I've also acquired a CAR James Burton Tele. It's not that I have a particular liking for CAR I just happen to find guitars that are.
    VM

I had a '62 CIJ Jazz bass and loved it. Didn't have to change a thing. I went to a setup clinic that Fender was giving at a local music store and had it setup for the price of a new set of strings...I prefer the Jazz over the Precision, so my opinion might be prejudiced. If you are considering one, go for it. Mine was a gem.

Forum Member

Got a RI '57 Precision MIJ, 2-tone sunburst w. gold anodized pickguard. I'm really happy with this one! I play mostly country and 60's rock with it and it works fine. It suits my playing just fine,mostly finger, close to the neck. I got the pickup and bridge covers on and that bass really has a vintage vibe! I'm thinkin' about trying out some flatwound strings on this one, as it would suit my music, but maybe that's not what you are looking for....... The finish is nice, although I believe it's easily chipped.
    Hope this was helpful!

//Hank

hank8ball : any photos of your bass?
    Neat thread,.....I, myself, have just gotten GAS for a '59 RI, I'd like a bass with a Rosewood fretboard...and I'm hooked on the Gold guard! Has to be a Burst. I'll never be able to afford a Custom Shop bass,.....I may buy MIM and add the covers, thumbrest, and Gold guard.

PS.....I love my '51 CIJ RI. I added covers and a Maple thumbrest.
    '51 RI
    Last edited by P-Bass player; 04-17-2005 at 11:03 PM. Reason: to add a link

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyman
    Although they are not anywhere near as accurate re-issues as the US Fender releases are...
    That's a big plus; for example, do you really want to pull the neck every time you have to adjust the trussrod? I sure don't!

BTW, I haven't been able to find out if the rumor that FJs are no longer made by Fujigen Gakki but by Kasuga is true or not.

Or if it matters. [shrug]

I have confirmed that some other brands that were manufactured by Fujigen Gakki are no longer, though, so maybe there's something to it. We'll see eventually I suppose.

04DEC05: Gone -- So long!