Thread: Townsend's Schecter/Giffin Tele

Forum Member

Townsend's Schecter/Giffin Tele

"Just Realized I should've put this in the Clone Zone. Entirely my bad...Sorry."

Back in the 80's I remember seeing Pete Townsend playing these hot looking tele-type guitars with dual humbucking pickups and thinking, "That thing can't handle the Les Paul parts, can it?"

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/schecter.htm

However when Pete started grinding out "Trick of the Light" I thought it sounded just as smokin' as it looked.

I guess the time in which Townsend used these came and went rather quickly, leaving behind something of an inigma.

Has anyone here ever seen on of these slabs for sale?

-David
    Last edited by dmgcaster; 04-10-2005 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Wrong Location For Thread

Re: Townsend's Schecter/Giffin Tele

Here-
    http://www.pulseonline.com/schecter20.htm

At the price this place lists, the new ones are probably Korean made, and looking at the specs, the neck probably has a different shape.

I played with a guy briefly who had one. I can't really comment on the sound, because I really did not enjoy that whole situation.

The real deal, Schecter label models show up on ebay now and then. They're really solid well made guitars.
    If you do shop for one, be sure to look for the old style logo. It should look like the logo in the black block on the page you link, with OR without the "Guitar Research."
    The newer, script logo stuff is not the same. Flashy looking, okay guitars, but pretty ordinary.
    I have a Schecter Strat from about '83-'84. :yay
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

Aaaand, looks like a real one on Fleabay as we speak!

80s Schecter PT/Saturn

Forum Member

Thanks for the info guys!

Yeah, Neofauve, I'm thinking those things are probably Korean also. I'd seen one before but had dismissed it because it didn't have that spear-like tele head stock and the body looks different too.

I'd like my next axe, if indeed there is a "next" axe to be a humbucking tele of some sort or another.

Thanks for the e-bay(Fleabay!) link! Its a pretty sweet looking axe but, I just don't like rosewood fretboards any more.

-David