Thread: "62 Bassman Combo. My 'Bassbreaker'

"62 Bassman Combo. My 'Bassbreaker'

This is a '62 Bassman head in a 2x12' combo cab w/ one Weber C12N and another 12 type speaker from a Mesa combo I had long ago. I have another Weber C12N that is going in after I do a small cutout on the speaker basket. It is a cool sounding rig and I am really happy with the way it came out. Loud, fat and punchy with a beautiful chime when turned down low. My strat loves this amp.
    Oh yes, the guitar is a '67 335 that I've owned for 26 years.

Forum Member
    What a cool setup. It gives me the "bug" to work on a vintage amp, now.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by telegraph14
    What a cool setup. It gives me the "bug" to work on a vintage amp, now.
    That's one of my cabs. I was horrified when I saw that monstrous gap between the baffle and the chassis. In the process, I learned that the brown chassis were 1/4" shorter in height than the BF/SF chassis. Something I didn't know before, but do now.

I am going to send G a replacement baffle free of charge, and learn from this experience! I'll never make that mistake again, when I build for a brown chassis amp!

*Post edited to remove spam from signature.
    Last edited by OneL; 02-26-2004 at 01:52 PM.

Forum Member
    crusty...why couldn't he just plug the holes....move the baffle up and re-drill! the gap would be at the bottom and then he could just run a stip of anything and it would barely show. That is really standing behind your product...sending him a new baffle!

Forum Member
    Originally posted by nmontz
    crusty...why couldn't he just plug the holes....move the baffle up and re-drill! the gap would be at the bottom and then he could just run a stip of anything and it would barely show. That is really standing behind your product...sending him a new baffle!
    Cuz that woulkd be a cheesy fix, and I want folks to be proud of the products they pay hard earned money for.

G's amp was the first of that speaker config I had done for a Bassman chassis, and I sort of had a feeling there would be some adjustments here and there. Turns out I held the cutouts too close together trying to keep the cabinet height as low as possible (it STILL ended up being 26 1/2" tall!), and as a result, the speaker flanges overlap a bit also.

Just one more reason he deserves a new baffle.

Last edited by OneL; 02-26-2004 at 01:53 PM.

Forum Member
    I have the early Bassbreaker. I did some work on it and it's very bodacious.

They're selling for $1400.00 now. I can't tell you how happy I was to get mine for $400.00 back then.

I jump the channels too. Thick as a brick.

Last edited by OneL; 02-26-2004 at 01:53 PM.

I've been in touch with Crusty and he is standing behind his work 1000% and sending me a new baffle. When we were discussing the cab design, I was unaware of the difference in the front panel width. I always assumed the brownface and blackface panels were the same. I will post another picture when I get the new baffle installed.
    BTW, this amp sounds incredible and the cabinet work Crusty does is top notch.

Just an update. Crusty sent me a new speaker baffle free of charge and I just got it in the amp (Thanks for everything Steve). I have two Weber C12N's installed and it is sounding sweet. Here's a new pic:

Looks much nicer now! That Crusty sounds like a fine fella.