Thread: Stringbreakocaster - help!

Stringbreakocaster - help!

First off, Hi guys, great forum this is!

Right, I have a (88) US Strat Plus (one with the powder coated saddles) and Im sick of the D string (0.26) break at the point where it crosses over the saddle. Ive replaced saddles, Ive used oil & graphite to coat them with, Ive changed from 0.09's to 0.10's but still I break the sodding strings!!!! I use Ernie Ball strings.

Is it the saddles?
    Is it the strings?

Anyone know anything about this issue?

Re: Stringbreakocaster - help!

Me again, I have just trawled through this site and have found this topic elsewhere, Ive just put some graph-tech saddles on my Strat so Ill keep you posted.

Any more ideas are welcome.

Forum Member

GraphTechs will do it. I used to break a *minimum* of *one* string... A DAY!!

I replaced the saddles and broke only one in 6 months! I don't think it gets any better than that!

and if it still breaks the D string what should I do?

Another thing I thought I could do was to replace the US Std trem unit with a Vintage unit. I know there is fixing differences, US Std has 2 pivot points and the vintage has 6 screws, but would it help me at all?

Strings break at the saddle if the saddle is rough and somehow cutting the string a bit. Also, if the angle of the string as it passes over the saddle is overly acute, that puts a lot of strain on a very specific point on a string.

Without seeing the guitar at all it's a little tough to speculate. Is it intonated correctly? I'm thinking that if the D saddle is too far back the string may be making a right angle turn on it.

Hey, another idea - does it break on the saddle or perhaps as it passes out of the block? Maybe something is rough down there and cuts the string.

I think you should give the graphtechs time to work before you consider bridge switches.
    s'all goof.

GOOD POINT CURTISSTETKA!!!! I'll check the intonation tonight!

It has to be a sharp point. I have an AmSer Strat and NEVER break strings.
    I had an AmSer Tele with the same saddles and never broke a string on it either.

Is your bridge flat on the body? If so that may increase the binding effect on the saddle.

Just a side point, but it has no real bearing... For a time I was reviewing a lot of pickups and equipment that required I loosen the strings and take the pickguard off. This is the only time I ever break stings. The Ernie Ball strings consistently broke easier than Fender or D'Addario.

That's just me. I doubt you are going to slack and tighten your strings five times a day...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Just keep in mind that GraphTechs will darken your tone a bit which may or may not be a good thing given one's preferences and setup configuration.
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

Get a Q tip rub it over the D saddle if any small shreads of cotton come off you have a burr on the saddle thats cutting into the string.

If its breaking behind the saddle you will have to do like SRV did and run a small piece of plastic tubing over the string where it comes thru the body.

Quote Originally Posted by hudpucker
    Just keep in mind that GraphTechs will darken your tone a bit which may or may not be a good thing given one's preferences and setup configuration.
    Just wanted to add a hefty YMMV to that.

I have pretty good ears (at least, that's what the doc told me - my wife might not agree), & I couldn't hear much, if any, difference when I replaced the saddles on my 62 RI strat with Graphtechs.

Just a thought. YMMV. :-)
    Master of Disaster on the Stratocaster

And if you have a maple board, you may WANT to darken it a bit! (no pun intended).. (well. maybe a little!)
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Here is the difference in graphtech saddles and regular steel ones.

Get a metal spatula get a teflon spatula hit the metal one against a pan hear the nice ring? now hit the teflon one on the pan thud.

Thats the difference they might help string breakage at a loss in tone.

PS Ive been playin since 1966 and never broke a string.

Forum Member

We'll have to disagree on that, Marcondo. I have GraphTechs and recently switched to regular metal saddles and the "better" tone was definitely with the GraphTechs. It wasn't darker. It was simply "fuller" and more vibrant!

No offense, but your analogy about hitting the spatula is flawed, as we're not talking about the reasonance of the saddle. Last time I checked, I don't wack the saddle with a drum stick. I pick the string with a pick.

And if you've never broken a string, you don't play hard enough. :lol

Just teasing you on that last one, man. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcondo

PS Ive been playin since 1966 and never broke a string.

Yeah thats not really what i wanted to hear!!! bummer

Forum Member

If you polished and are sure that your saddles are bur free.you may what to check your playing style.I break plenty-o-strings ,and checked most everything like you have.Ive come too the conclusion that I tend to rest my sweaty right hand on or near the saddle (and harly ever wipe the strings after use) that combined with a sometimes heavy attack and heavy picks just makes me break a lot of strings..Not sure if thats it but the idea seemed reasonable enough too me.

I've heard others say that the graphtechs will darken your tone a little. Me? I'm half deaf so I couldn't hear a difference; that doesn't mean there wasn't a difference. I think that's what the tone knobs are for though. I've also heard claims that the g/t's will improve sustain. Again, I didn't notice any improvement there either.
    But, I've broken very few strings since the swap, and that was back in 2000. I tried everything before swapping the saddles, nothing worked until I put on graphtechs. They paid for themselves rather quickly.
    So much talk about the USB port, what state is it in?