Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: trying to get a vintage strat

Re: trying to get a vintage strat

I agree with that, 56. The CS guitars for the most part are pretty accurate pieces, but the older ones have a vibe and feel that's hard to describe. Some of it's all in the head maybe, but a lot of it's in the hands and ears as well. It's not imagined.

Here's a strange twist. I have a gorgeous 1962 that has had an offer of 30G on it. Is it worth that? I don't think so, but I know this: It has had great offers because of it's condition. Now, how that fits into the whole relicing effect thing, I don't know. Every collector I know pays more for premium condition and appearance.

Forum Member

Re: trying to get a vintage strat

Tonefreak, I agree the prices nowadays are crazy. I also had very generous offers, since both of my '56s are in 9+ condition. It is a myth that just "well worn instruments sound good"! I haven't played another Strat yet which sounded better than my ash body '56, played some other '55s and '56s that sounded equaly great but not better. No way I will ever sell that guitar.
    But I really love my anniversary '54 which I got in summer last year and I'm still amazed how good this guitar looks, feels and most important sounds.