Thread: Using Gtr FX for Bass?

Using Gtr FX for Bass?

Was wondering what the advantage of buying an OD box specificly designed for bass would be over one that is designed for guitar?

Do I really need to spend another $80 on a new OD pedal for bass when I have a half dozen guitar OD pedals?

Re: Using Gtr FX for Bass?

Why not just try those pedals out with your bass and see what your ears tell you. I'd guess that there's not a huge difference in overdrive pedals for bass versus guitar.
    s'all goof.

I sort of wondered how much harm could I cause a guitar pedal with a bass? I can't imagine the lower bass signal would blow out the circuit but thought I'd ask here to be on the safe side.

you won't harm the pedal by using a bass. but i personally think that the OD pedals designed for bass sound really good on them. i've tried guitar OD pedals on bass and didn't like it as much. this is due to the frequency range of the pedal.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Thanks Chucko, that was the kind of info I was looking for. I'll probably have to A-B a bass OD to what I have and decide whether it's worth buying a bass od pedal. Btw, what bass OD pedal did you use?

when i was playing bass i just used a big muff. personally i like fuzz better than OD on bass. but i've tried out a bunch of the bass OD pedals. the fulltone is awesome. but the boss one seems to do a good job too. some bass players i've worked with have used the boss metal zone cause the eq for bass is low enough that you are actually hitting the bass frequencies, nit the low mids like on most pedals. and there is also the bass sans amp which is pretty cool, i liked the sound of it when i heard it. never played one though.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/480206/

http://www.fulltone.com/stpframe.html

those would be my reccomendations. but try out a whole bunch and see what sounds good to you. like i said, i personally like fuzz.

,,,try the DOD grunge FX69 for a bass fuzz tone, it works like the "MetalZone", with the low freq.knob. -OR-buy the DigiT. BassSqueze.( a compressor) for modern tones.

Ended up getting the Fulltone Bass OD pedal! This pedal sounds better than I ever anticipated.

Guitar pedals I tried were simply awful and nasally. With the Fulltone you can dial in just a hint of OD which fattens up the tone or you go can go full bore and get a gritty beefy OD distortion. I did the researach and the bands other bass player bought it ;) Fortunately I didn't steer her wrong! Thanks for the tips.

glad to hear things worked out for ya. not quit yappin and start grindin that low E..

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster
    ..start grindin that low E..
    My favorite note on the bass!

When using the Ric 4003 we've pretty much been leaving the pedal on with very mild effect which gives the Ric a little more oomphh. We're rockin' now

rics, fuzz, and a pic, there isn't anything better in my book.