Thread: Chipped Lacquer on Skunk Stripe

Chipped Lacquer on Skunk Stripe

For those of you who also read the FDP, I am sorry for the double post here but I am looking for multiple answers.

My 2001 American Series Strat just fell off of the guitar stand a few minutes ago. Everything seems to be fine, but I noticed a 3" strip on the back of the neck where the lacquer has chipped off of the edges of the "skunk stripe". Can anyone tell me what kind of damage I may have caused, and how much I can expect to pay to have it fixed. It seems to be mostly a cosmetic issue, as it feels rough when I play.

Can you post a pic? I could give you some pointers if I can see the damage...
    Hopeless modaholic...

TFF Stage Crew
    As long as there's no wood missing, I'd just sand it & buff it until the edges weren't rough & call it good.

If the neck has a lacquer finish, you could spray lacquer in a cup, and brush it on the damage (to fill the chip). Let it dry flat a day or so. Block sand with a piece of 800, 1200, 1500, 2000. A machine buffer would be faster, but you could hand rub it with some compound and then polish. Urethane is nasty stuff and should be done by a pro. You could do as 71818 said and leave the damaged area sanded/buffed, but bare. The wood will darken from your hand oils and the area will eventually 'open' from wear...a good head start for a relic look. Good luck.
    Hopeless modaholic...