Thread: Delay on "Cause We've Ended As Lovers"?

Forum Member

Delay on "Cause We've Ended As Lovers"?

Does anyone know the approx. settings for the delay Jeff Beck uses on "Cause We've Ended As Lovers"?

It sounds like a really common setting for that era - I've heard quite a few guitarists use it.

However I've tried to get it using my old Boss DD-3 DDL pedal and while I do get close, it isn't quite there.

Re: Delay on "Cause We've Ended As Lovers"?

Quote Originally Posted by matei
    Does anyone know the approx. settings for the delay Jeff Beck uses on "Cause We've Ended As Lovers"?

It sounds like a really common setting for that era - I've heard quite a few guitarists use it.

However I've tried to get it using my old Boss DD-3 DDL pedal and while I do get close, it isn't quite there.
    Considering the era, it's certainly tape. The easiest way to get studio quality tape echo was to use the recorder itself. Record on one head, playback on the other.

I'm certain some of the studio dogs here know what the delay time is for Ampex vs. Studer, etc.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

fezz parka

I'll bet it was an Echoplex or tape echo on a Revox A77.

You get tape slap by routing the signal to a two track reel to reel machine, then mixing the dry track with the return from the 1/4". You can vary the delay by running either @15ips or 7.5 ips, and different machines had different distances between the heads. ( Or you can go nuts like Robert Fripp and use two tape machines (record on one, playback on the other) and vary the distance between them for the amount of delay. It's wacky old school fun!

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    Or you can go nuts like Robert Fripp and use two tape machines (record on one, playback on the other) and vary the distance between them for the amount of delay. It's wacky old school fun!
    You've got to have two very stable tape machines for that. Fripp used a couple of Revoxes. Saw one of those shows. Absolutely amazing.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Slim,
    Very, very smooth brother! I think you nailed the delay.

TFF Stage Crew

Slim--let me know if you have a license to post this cover and I'll reinstate it right away. If not, please take a minute to review TFF's rules and regulations concerning posting music. Thanks!

Copyright rules thread
    Last edited by pc; 01-16-2005 at 06:24 PM.

Forum Member

We all know that tapr echo and playing games with playback was extensively used in the studio. It would be nice to hear some advice concerning delay pedals and settings that would best emulate the sound in question.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pc
    Slim--let me know if you have a license to post this cover and I'll reinstate it right away. If not, please take a minute to review TFF's rules and regulations concerning posting music. Thanks!

Copyright rules thread
    I don't think I qualify to post this piece of music. I just pulled this backing off the LPF about a year ago and recorded this cover myself. Didn't pay anyone or fill out any forms. Sorry, hope no one got in trouble.

TFF Stage Crew

No worries, thanks for responding.