Thread: 1960 Strat with busted tremolo arm HELP

Forum Member

1960 Strat with busted tremolo arm HELP

Hi
    I bought a 1960 stratocaster on evilbay and the previous owner "forgot" to mention a couple of details. Nothing real serious, just a replacement tuner and a busted trem arm. The first issue was corrected, however the trem arm seems to have busted off inside the block, leaving just a little "stump" that can barely be seen inside. I'd like some info on the best way to remove this thing since I located another trem arm and would like to be able to install it. Thanks in advance!

Re: 1960 Strat with busted tremolo arm HELP

I suspect you might need to find a local engineering or motorcycle repair shop. They're used to getting busted bolts and things out of holes. Anyone got a better solution?
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained as stupidity"

fezz parka

Using a good drill press you can drill that sucker out.

Drill a small hole through the center and use a removal tool

Forum Member

chaz498
    THanks for the tip on the motorcycle shop. Got one next door to my work and will try that first. Otherwise Wilko, I'll strat the DIY proccess and hope I don't screw it up any worse!
    I apreciate the help.

If you do screw it up, a new block can be had from Callaham or other suppliers.

Good luck.

i dont get the remover thing. im wondering how the hell someone could break a trem arm in there. i know guys who beat the shit out of their trems and others whos guitars have fallen straight onto the arm and neither produced those results. take some before and after pics of the job. im pretty sure ull be able to do it done.

The reason so many get broke off in there is that they all get very loose from years of use. Once they are loose, players try to screw them in tighter. When they get screwed too tight, the arm is literally pulled from the threaded section. The break point is where the threads end and the "shoulder" of the remaining shaft.
    The result is, a threaded end that is in really tight and broke off at that point.