Thread: SC's in Gibson Type Guitars ...Comments?

SC's in Gibson Type Guitars ...Comments?

Hey all.

I read somewhere where normal strat and tele pickups don't quite cut it when using a Mahogony/Maple type of 'Gibson' wood setup.

I have a custom guitar that is almost done, kinda stratty shape but tele electronics and tele type of neck.

It is Perota core wood (soft and light, very resonant) with hard Maple top and rear caps on it, very similar to Gibson territory.

I was going to try out a Fralin 5% underwound Broadcaster in the bridge, but since I read that, I figured it would be an interesting post to see what you's guys think about this...

Forum Member
    Apart from ther tone issues there is a problem with the poles misaligning with the strings. Fender pickups are spaced to suit a 56mm bridge whereas the Gibson bridge is spaced at 52mm (E to E). This means the outside E strings will miss the poles and miss the boat (tone anmd level wise).

Forum Member
    There is always the single coil P 90 variants .

I have a P94 Gibson and a Z 90 Harmonic designs in the guitar I built and both are very nice .

The P94 is a humbucker sized p90 and is crisp and has a good fullness too , the Z90 is Way loud and bites like a gator.

In my SG I but a Duncan JB with a coil tap and a Duncan Jazz up front with the bridge in singel coil mode using both , it gets a very good Mark Knopfler tone .

Last edited by James Tonguet; 10-17-2002 at 05:19 AM.