Thread: 53 esquire cap failure

Forum Member

53 esquire cap failure

the tone modifiying cap for the front position in my esquire has finally died, anyone have one for sale or any ideas on a modern replacement ?

Forum Member
    That tone Cap is a .05mfd and modern disk replacements are available from Stew-Mac, Allparts, etc.
    I've seen a very talented Tele builder scan the print on the old wax Cap body and print it out on a piece of brown paper bag then insert a modern Car inside the rolled up tube and seal it with melted crayon. A lot of work but excellent results.

Forum Member
    I might be mistaken, but weren't the earliest tone caps .1mfd?
    Please correct me if I'm wrong,

Forum Member
    Yes, that's right, the .05mfd runs of the Volume pot to the switch in the Broadcaster blend. You might try Terry Mueller for a NOS, the only problem is these things are over 50 years old and may possibly be dried out or the spec has changed from age.
    I've been looking at old electronic equipment, radios from the early 50s, etc.
    Someone told me church organs are a source for Caps, don't know of it's true or maybe the guy was trying to get me to go,

Forum Member

Here's one F/S

Check out this person on Ebay, I've seen these being sold for a couple months. Don't know if this is NOS or Replication, either way it's probably as good as you're going to find.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=912285501