Thread: Blues jr or Deluxe Reverb R/I

Blues jr or Deluxe Reverb R/I

I'm thinking of trading in my trusty Princeton Chorus for a new tube amp. I like the vintage vibe & looks of the DR R/I, but I haven't read a lot of good reviews about it. Both amps sound good in the store. I'm strictly a bedroom player & I like a good bluesy sound with just a hint of overdrive. Any thoughts? I might also consider a Cyber Deluxe, since I'm not concerned about getting the "exact" sound of any amp. With the cyber, I could get rid of the cumbersome pod & have everything in one cabinet. I've been wanting a DR for some time, but I'm afraid it might be too loud for home use.

Forum Member

My opinion and I'm sticking with it!

I had a DRRI for about six months last year, but I ended up selling it. I couldn't turn it up past 2 or 3 and I didn't really like what it sounded like at that setting. In contrast, I play my silverface Princeton Reverb at 2 or 3 all the time and I love the way that amp sounds. It's my favorite practice amp!
    I also have a Blues Jr. which is my second favorite practice amp.
    I heard from (someone) that he took his DRRI to a jam and he was asked to turn down. I think they were playing in a medium size club.
    Last edited by rayh; 09-25-2002 at 06:46 AM.

Princeton Reverb

The DDRI has a more classic "Fender" tone than a Blues Jr., but if you're playing in your room it'll be too loud.

I have and would recommend a '68 Princeton Reverb. It's the smallest amp that still has the same type of tone as the bigger Fenders.
    Champs are great, but have a different (just as great) tone.

If you plan on eventually playing out or jamming with a drummer, you'll probably need the Deluxe Reverb.

BTW, I play a '66 Vibrolux Reverb in my basement. Even though it's quite a bit louder than a Deluxe Reverb, it's not to loud when it's not being used in the house's main living area.
    People upstairs can hear it, but not too loudly.
    Last edited by Don; 09-25-2002 at 09:40 AM.

Luv the 'Shrooms, Giz! That's my screensaver with the Microsoft 'Science' moving 'Blackhole'. Good choice!

Re the amp dilema; The DRRI will be way over the top Vol wise for 'quiet' home/bedroom use. It's a loud 22 watts and will sound GREAT with a couple of easy mods if you ever have a need for a one channel kick butt amp! Great amp with a couple of relatively simple upgrades from stock! Mine is a keeper to backup my Rivera.

I'll get some flack here but having been a Blues Jr owner for a couple of years and doing the upgrades/mods, she's a 'one trick pony' and you will soon grow tired of her even with upgraded tubes and speaker. With the EL-84's she is a loud amp but 'boxy' sounding and afterwhile not pleasing even with NOS tubes and a Celestion V-30 or Weber speaker upgrade. Just my personnal opinion here.

I feel your best bet would be finding an old Princetone Reverb, have the caps redone if nessesary and retube with NOS tubes and maybe upgrade the speaker if necessary. I think you would be a happy camper for years to come and come in at a price that would be less than a new 'Boutique' low watt amp.

Modern low wattage amps or amp heads on the market now are not cheap ($500 plus w/o speaker cab)! It's the new market for all those that have gone power hungry and now realize they can't use them at the volume where they really sing. Can't get that final tube DRIVE unless you push them and that's where the sweetness is!

Baseline, look for a dual 6V6 final amp or a single EL-34/6V6/6L6 etc, etc amp that fits your budget. Preferably with a Master/Volume so you can drive the preamp tubes into saturation to get the clean and thickness you may be looking for by using your Vol on th guitar. It won't sing like 'driven' power tube(s) but, gets you close at lower volumes which are acceptable for bedroom or appartment living.

Good luck on your tone quest.......

Hammer on......Blair

How about a Princeton II? I've got my eye on one of those. I've heard pretty good things about them.