Thread: Buddy Guy & Junior Wells Play the Blues

Buddy Guy & Junior Wells Play the Blues

wow....is this a great album or what...?!!

I just finished jamming along to this album for the last couple hours...my left hand is all rubbery & feels like it's gonna fall off. what a workout :)

some great clean strat tones on this: backed by Eric Clapton & the J. Geils band, it has some serious drumming/bass swing, & cool keyboard playing too.

anyone else digging this? I'd recommend picking it up if'n you haven't heard of it...

Forum Member
    If you enjoyed that cd, you'll be sure to love:

Junior Wells - Hoodoo Man Blues (Delmark)
    Junior Wells - It's My Life, Baby! (Vanguard)

Both are from the mid 60's and feature Buddy Guy with as gorgeous a clean Strat tone as you'll ever hear.

Half of "It's My Life, Baby" consists of live cuts form Theresa's Lounge on the South Side of Chicago, one of which, "Look How, Look How Baby" has one of the most astounding blues guitar solos ever recorded. Also, when you hear it you'll know that Messrs. Betts and Allman listened to Buddy and Juniors's version of "Stormy Monday".

Check it out.

TFF Stage Crew
    Jr Wells has a CD out called "Think I'm Better Off With The Blues" that is really, really good. I love that CD.

If you haven't heard it you should pick it up. There are some great Buddy Guy licks in there.

Tim C. :)

ahhh!!

great, thx for the leads. I've been meaning to pick up "hoodoo man blues" for a while, but you know how when you walk into a record store & can never remember what you've been looking for? :)

I'll look for those others, too!! esp the live stuff!

thx!!

Forum Member
    another vote for hoodoo man bluea's, just got turned on to it.
    it's a great CD!!!!!

chris

Forum Member
    I just got a hold of Buddy Guy's "Sweet Tea" CD and I've recommending it with a lung power here. Man, it's the meanest, groaningest, swamp-fever thing you ever heard. Completely unlike anything I've heard him do before. It just howls unearthly. You'd have to go back to Captain Beefheart with a bad hangover to get anything in this trancelike shape. And when Guy solos, it's like hoarse thunder. Damn.

Forum Member
    If you dig that, you'll love "Buddy Guy & Junior Wells Live at Montreaux." Great stuff.