Thread: Pictures From 6th Annual Irvine Lake Blues Festival

Pictures From 6th Annual Irvine Lake Blues Festival

Here are some pictures from the 6th Annual Irvine Lake Blues Festival I went to this weekend with some friends.

This was a great weekend. 11 bands in all. See the pics for a copy of the flyer listing all the bands.

We got there Friday night and setup camp. Made dinner and went out for a kayak run around the lake. They have late night fishing there so we could kayak till 2 in the morning. That was pretty cool. It got kinda foggy and it was kinda surreal floating around in it.

Sat the festival started at 10:00AM. We kayaked around for a while listening to the first band. You could hear them clearly around the lake. We went up there around lunch and had some jambalaya. BB Chun King was coming on. They played a good set. Each band had an hour with 15min between bands. A second stage started up during that break. The first band from Sun played all the breaks Sat and vice-versa.

Coco Montoya was next. He was great. BB Chun King joined him for a few. Then Rod Piazza was up. Another good show. All the bands were great actually.

Went back to camp for dinner. It was real nice camping there. We could set up our chairs early in the morning before the crowd was even allowed in. We bought one beer for $4.00 and would come back to camp to refill it since you could not bring in your own. At night many of the campers brought instruments and we sat around and jammed.

Next day started we went up to see the Delgado Brothers. Nice latin rythms, very Santana-ish.

Then came Guitar shorty. It was pretty cool when he roamed around the crowd with his wireless. Even played with his teeth.

The came the band I was there for. Walter Trout. He was fantastic. Great mood and a ton of energy. Made every guitar face there is. Why he wasn't top bill I don't know. Although Tommy Castro was really good he had one hell of a act to follow.

Tommy was up last and played for 2 hours. I've never seen him and was impressed. Good show.

Would have loved to see all guitars in a jam but that didn't happen. This was my first year there and it will not be the last. Can't wait for next year. Also it was a relatively small crowd.

Enjoy the pictures ...

http://home.earthlink.net/~rdexter/Blues/

Forum Member

Re: Pictures From 6th Annual Irvine Lake Blues Festival

Excellant review!! I really dig that BB Chunking guy`s playin`, but can`t find the disc up here, will have to buy it from his sight. What was his rig, or could you see it? interested in his pedal setup too. I heard a cut with Philip Sayce on Buddaheads latest album, man with those two guys on guitar, what a monster duo!!

CT.

Old Tele man

some "serious" tatoos on that bass player!

serious tattoos on his bass also. I notice he's very buff and sexy...but I digress.

Thanks for sharing Dexmo! Wonderful shots. (a cool-fast-easily navigated photo-hosting site). Glad you had a good adventure/experience.

Note to self: get out more. Go listen more. Take a camera.
    Shine your light.