Thread: Do you think guitars will ever change?

Do you think guitars will ever change?

Despite all of the advancements since 1960, it seems that guitars are locked into the designs, materials and construction methods of the 1950-1960 era. I actually just picked up a Nocaster which is a reissue of a guitar made in 1951. In fact they go to painstaking lengths to get the original 1951 feel. I know for myself and a lot of other guitarists, these early guitars are the ultimate. The music we love was written on and played on these instruments.

My question is, will the electric guitar ever achieve another golden age like the 1950-1960 era? There are a lot of new manufacturers out there (PRS, Baker, etc) and a lot of the new bands seem to be using their instruments. 50 years from now, will people be trying to recreate the 1990 PRS's? Some manufacturers such as Parker really have tried some new and innovative ideas (Stainless steel glued on frets for example) but despite their modest success, you don't see Parker Fly's replacing the strat or tele. I am wondering if our steadfast dedication to these early instruments is keeping us from embracing or even looking into ways for the electric guitar to evolve? Midi guitar is out there, but for several reasons it has still failed to really take off. Is midi guitar where it is all headed? Line 6 has created a new modeling guitar, is that the next step? Will digital modeling ever get so good that it will make a piece of plywood with some strings attached sound like a quality hand made instrument?

I find it amazing that a guitar from 1951 can still be so relevant and functional. Leo and all of the other designers/luthiers/engineers were really ahead of their time

Forum Member
    Shawn you bring up a lot of good points. I don't think any thing more can be done. It has to do with that "stead fast detication" you speak of . The 1950's was by far the only true era for the electric soild body guitar. The wood was old growth and in good supply, the glues, finish methods and pups were hand wound with different wire and magnets than are made today. They were also the first . There were no plans or guide lines back then, they got it right the first time as evidence by their value. I also find it odd that someone hasn't come up with something better. MIDI and modeling guitars and amps will never come close to the real deal. If you have both side by side it's a joke , there no question which sounds better. All the modern master makers seem to be copying each other and the old designs to make some very uninteresting guitars IMO. Fender and Gibson are both trying so hard to remake the past it's sick. Fender dose a better job than Gibson , but a Fender is a little easier to recreate than a LP. As you said they were way ahead for thier time indeed. :p

Forum Member
    Violins haven't changed much in a few hundred years.

Forum Member
    Most musical instruments don't evolve too far from their original designs. I see amplification having room for innovation (we're all STLL waiting for a solid state amp that can REALLY nail the tube amp's tone and vibe), but most of the major changes that can be made to guitars have apparently already happened.

I've seen a bunch of ideas that were either cool or at least had their merits over the early designs:

Floyd Rose: Yeah I know it still is a pain and the knife edges wear out and if you bust a string you are screwed, but sometimes divebombing is fun :tw59

Self Tuning Guitar: That performer system Jimmy Page endorses. It's way to expensive for the average guitarist, but it sure is cool. Page used it at the Dallas Page/Plant show in the middle of Dazed and Confused if I remember correctly (that or Whole Lotta Love). He detuned and tuned back up while he was plugged in. Imagine being able to tune perfectly or switch tunings at the press of a button.... Cool stuff.

Stainless Steel Frets: Harder to work with, but last way longer. Maybe will be come standard fare one day

Piezo Bridge Systems: These will get better and better. I hear the new system Taylor is working on will make a big bang.

Modeling Guitars/Midi: The final frontier. People say they will never replace a 52 Tele into a Bassman, but what would somebody say if you showed a screening of Jurassic Park in 1910? Technology is amazing in it's pace to outdo itself. I can't wait to hear the modeling stuff in 20 years. It may suck now, but watch out.

The Violin hasnt changed much, but I think the electric guitar is more wrapped up in technology than the violin. As long as you can marry electronics and technology to something, there is no limit. I read in an Electronics trade magazine about a retired EE who designed a new guitar pickguard system that is actually a 7 layer circuit board. The entire thing is one big ground plane. You can add in boost/shaping modlues as you see fit. Pretty cool concept.

I'm pretty excited to see new things develop in music. Sure there are bumps in the road (ie Synth pop in the 80's :dead ), but for every Flock of Seagulls there is a Sergeant Peppers out there.
    Last edited by ShawnRT; 09-11-2002 at 11:36 AM.

Unfortunatly, with the shear volumes of guitars being churned out to keep the masses happy, materials are going to be the largest factor in guitar advancements. Only so much area left in this world to grow trees for the woods, and then the woods are newer and not as dried and aged as they once where do to production speeds of all the manufacturers.

I believe, and I so hope I am wrong, that most electric guitars of the future will be made from synthetic materials made to simulate the great woods we have all grown up with and are accustomed to in our guitars. I foresee the electronics getteing better by leaps and bounds as technology advances almost hourly now. Guitars and amps will be able to sound like anything the player can imagine. 10 years from now players like us will more than likely be looked at as dinosaurs in the guitar world.

Oh well, just my thoughts.
    Aaron
    Alias: Fat Dog Lee
    Play it like ya mean it.
    http://www.groups.msn.com/aaronsclub