Thread: effects of maple capped necks?

Formerly joe mama

effects of maple capped necks?

Does it affect the tone? I've compared my '69 CS relic to several '56 relics. All were alder with maple necks. All were played acoustically. The '56 relics had a snappier, woodier tone.

The 69 had a muted, very smooth tone. Could this be a maple cap or is there more in the design that I'm missing.

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.

Re: effects of maple capped necks?

Actually, the maplecap is supposed to make the notes "pop" more, but you were comparing two very different guitars.

sven is totally right. also, from guitar to guitar tone changes are more significant. now if you were able to try both necks on the SAME guitar, then you could easily tell the difference. and i mean swapping necks. cause that is really the only way to tell.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Formerly joe mama

Actually, the guitars were very similar. ???? Both were alder body, all maple necks, exact same hardware, nitro finish. Very close.

I've swapped necks as well! Quite a few necks on this '69. I've had several necks on the '69 body and the difference in necks is astounding.

I'm getting ready to try the Nocaster's neck on the '69 body as another experiment. Should be hideous looking!

I want that snap and pop that I find on the Nocasters and the '56. I don't think the maple cap can do it. I read where EVH preferred maple caps because the sound was smoother. In my experiments, I'd say it's true.

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.

The pups used in the 56, the 69, and the Nocaster are totally different as well.

fezz parka

Never mind I got Teles on the brain...
    Last edited by fezz parka; 05-24-2004 at 01:49 PM. Reason: cuz I'm a dumbass

i wouldn't say hideous looking, just different. this guitar has plenty o'pop, and it is a rosewood board.

"don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Formerly joe mama

Quote Originally Posted by Sven
    The pups used in the 56, the 69, and the Nocaster are totally different as well.

Of course the pickups are different! But read my original post, I am comparing them acoustically to hear the true tone of the guitar and the different parts. So these guitars are not really that different other than the neck and tuners.

Of course I'm not going to compare them with different pickups!!!