Thread: Slide players-newbie needs assistance...

Slide players-newbie needs assistance...

I'm finally attempting to play slide...after running out of excuses not to. This is the catch: I want to learn in standard tuning. Looking for tips on guitar setup, action, string gauge, etc., plus any tips on technique would be graciously accepted. After seeing a concert video of Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes, I got hooked...

Charlie

Re: Slide players-newbie needs assistance...

You should listen to TFF forum member GuitarG. Do a search and listen to any clips in the Jam Zone, both here and the LPF. While you're listening to him play, read whatever he has to say about slide playing.

When you're done, post a thanx GuitarG thread.
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie
    You should listen to TFF forum member GuitarG. Do a search and listen to any clips in the Jam Zone, both here and the LPF. While you're listening to him play, read whatever he has to say about slide playing.

When you're done, post a thanx GuitarG thread.
    Will do!!!many thanks!

Yeah, that ABB DVD is amzing, huh? Derek is da man!

As for some lessons on playing slide in std, check out Warren Haynes' Hotlicks video. It's titled (appropriately enough) "Blues and Slide Guitar". It has a fairly comprehensive tutorial on the basics of playing slide in standard.

Quote Originally Posted by SRVDciple

As for some lessons on playing slide in std, check out Warren Haynes' Hotlicks video. It's titled (appropriately enough) "Blues and Slide Guitar". It has a fairly comprehensive tutorial on the basics of playing slide in standard.
    I'll definitely pick it up! The local music store here stoks alot of Hotlicks videos...and yeah, Derek is quite amazing...really irritates me when a kid is that young and THAT GOOD...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SRVDciple

Another video that will help you a lot if (also from Hotlicks) "The Art of Slide Guitar" by my friend and teacher, Lee Roy Parnell. It really got me going.

Quote Originally Posted by pbradt
    Another video that will help you a lot if (also from Hotlicks) "The Art of Slide Guitar" by my friend and teacher, Lee Roy Parnell. It really got me going.
    I'll be shopping for both of them this afternoon! Many thanks!

Forum Member

I play slide in standard tuning, on all of my guitars. The only setup thing you may have to do is raise the action (and intonate). Maybe not. it is possible that your preferred action is already high enough. Only you can tell, depending upon your touch.

I use .010-.046 strings. That is the gauge I prefer for standard playing, so I just adapted to that gauge, when it came to playing slide.

Personally, I feel that compression is an important part of the slide setup. Compression can come from a variety of sources -- it does not have to come from a compresssion pedal. Frequently, I play through a tweed Deluxe amp, or an Allen Accomplice, which is akin to a blackface Deluxe Reverb. These little, 6V6 amps have a healthy dose of compression built in, so I do not usually have to add any extra compression, when playing slide.

If I use one of my bigger, 6L6 amps, there is not enough compression to get the slide to sound good. With those amps, I will add some, either with a compression pedal, or an od/distortion pedal. Frequently, od/distortion pedals have a goodly amount of compression built in. (A Fulltone Fulldrive 2 is a good example of an od/distortion pedal with compression.)

Compression, however you get it, is important with slide, because the note decays so rapidly. Most of the slide players you hear use it. Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks. Lowell George used two compression pedals, in series.

Forum Member

I play all my slide in open tunings, mostly G tuning. There are things you just can't do in standard tuning that are vital to the way I play.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by pbradt
    I play all my slide in open tunings, mostly G tuning. There are things you just can't do in standard tuning that are vital to the way I play.

YMMV

I've been warned about this-my "silly" problem is deciding which of my two strats to dedicate strictly for slide...they both have really nice necks...maybe I need ANOTHER guitar. My wife will be so pleased to hear THAT...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Collins
    I play slide in standard tuning, on all of my guitars. The only setup thing you may have to do is raise the action (and intonate). Maybe not. it is possible that your preferred action is already high enough. Only you can tell, depending upon your touch.

I use .010-.046 strings. That is the gauge I prefer for standard playing, so I just adapted to that gauge, when it came to playing slide.

Personally, I feel that compression is an important part of the slide setup. Compression can come from a variety of sources -- it does not have to come from a compresssion pedal. Frequently, I play through a tweed Deluxe amp, or an Allen Accomplice, which is akin to a blackface Deluxe Reverb. These little, 6V6 amps have a healthy dose of compression built in, so I do not usually have to add any extra compression, when playing slide.

If I use one of my bigger, 6L6 amps, there is not enough compression to get the slide to sound good. With those amps, I will add some, either with a compression pedal, or an od/distortion pedal. Frequently, od/distortion pedals have a goodly amount of compression built in. (A Fulltone Fulldrive 2 is a good example of an od/distortion pedal with compression.)

Compression, however you get it, is important with slide, because the note decays so rapidly. Most of the slide players you hear use it. Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks. Lowell George used two compression pedals, in series.
    I just bought a Felxtone II Plus amp and have been experimenting witht the compression and amp models-I was formerly a "tube amp only" guy until I came upon this amp. Compression works really well on it. I'm getting used to using a heavier guage string and playing with raising the action just enough to allow the slide to glide without pressing the string down and hitting the frets or neck...my touch needs some "developing"...to put it mildly. I'm determined though:)

Appreciate your input alot. Thanks!