Thread: 22 vs 21 fret necks

Forum Member

22 vs 21 fret necks

Any reasons why you would want to have a 21 fret neck over a 22 fret neck except for the vintage look?

The difference between a 24 and 22 fret neck is quite substantial if you look at PRS and GIbson but just wondering if you lose or gain anything by having one or the other on a strat except vintage looks and a semi tone!!

Re: 22 vs 21 fret necks

it seems to me that you are just loosing a half step. i have yet to ever really need that extra fret. 21 works great for me. but it doesn't really matter to me anyways.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Doesn't matter to me either, though I don't care for 24 fret necks because the neck pickup needs to move to a less desirable position to accomodate the extra frets that I'd never use anyway.

Forum Member

I can live without the 22nd fret on a Strat - I look at it this way - it's not a limitation, it's an opportunity to do something more interesting.

On a strat, I prefer 21 frets cause it's easier to take the pickguard off without the overhang.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacalMetalist
    On a strat, I prefer 21 frets cause it's easier to take the pickguard off without the overhang.
    Does make surgery a little harder, huh? Even so, I still HAVE to have that high D.

I don't care for 24 fret necks because the neck pickup needs to move to a less desirable position to accomodate the extra frets.
    Amen, brother. I mean I wish I COULD have those extra 2 frets, but not at the price of a crappy-sounding neck pu.

Formerly joe mama

Yeah the pickguard thing is a good point. That can be a pain with a 22 fretter. That's really the only downside.

But, I like the vintage type strats and tele's neck feel, nitro etc.. So I always get stuck with 21 frets. I end up needing a 22nd fret almost daily! With teaching, everybody always seems to bring in these solos that hit those high notes. Alot of the more shreddy solos use them. Also, most rock or blues tunes are in "E". It's nice to easily bend that high D up a full step.

But, all the necks with the cool feel have 21 frets...sigh...

Formerly joe mama

Oh yeah on my nocaster, I set the front pickup's height for a high E note! It works great. so that's my "secret weapon" 24th fret!