Thread: So how's the POD?

Forum Member

So how's the POD?

Along with my new gig amp, I'm gonna be looking into headphone amp options for late night playing this summer (even a champ's too loud). I'm tempted to go to e-bay and pickup a POD. Does anyone have any opinions of it?

TFF Stage Crew

Re: So how's the POD?

Dustin,

Download some of the jams that Overwound has played on in recent weeks, most of that is his Tele through a POD, and I think it sounds great. You'll have to re-read his posts, 'cause I don't remember which POD it is (2.0 or XT), but yeah--nice stuff.

I'm borrowing a buddies at the moment, and it's pretty good for headphone practice. I love the Bassman setting in particular. But one thing about the POD is that many of the models are very high gain. There's another similar unit (can't remember if it's Yamaha, Korg or Behringer) that mostly just has vintage amps which might suit you better if it's just for headphone practice, but the POD has a ton of features for recording and playing thru an amp (it sounds good into FX return of an all tube amp).
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained as stupidity"

Many of us use the now discontinued Johnson J-Station. I use one and Fezz uses one exclusively in his production for the movie studio he works for...

I have heard that the older Pod 2.0 sounds better than then Pod XT.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

TFF Stage Crew

I own a 1.4 & I'm fixing to upgrade the chip to a 2.0 (2.3?). It's a pretty cool little unit. I'm partial to the "Vox" setting. This from a die-hard tube guy.

All of you guys that use PODs should check out my buddy Andy Z's site - LINK He's got a forum, and a patch section where members share their patches. Andy Z is a very talented "tweaker", and he has made som awesome patches.....

Another cool thing to check out is the Atomic Reactor amp. It's basically an 18 watt tube power section for modelers. Aparrently it "sweetens up" the tone quite a bit. LINK

This has been a public service announcement.....

I use a POD 2.0 (2.3 chip) to practice in my cubicle at work during lunch. It's great. I use the Bassman setting almost exclusively.

I tried the Johnson J-Station and didn't like it nearly as much.

The Behringer is far less expensive although I haven't heard it. I heard the Korg Pandora (II?) and thought it sounded pretty good.

Forum Member

I've got the POD 2.0 and its my goto practice amp. I can plug in to play or record with no hassles from the wife, the old lady downstairs, no bother with mic'ing cabs...

Its got a load of amp models, clean and dirty. The online editing utilty is pretty cool too.

I also have a pod 2 - allot of fun unobtrusive family life practice - can let it rip at 6:00 AM and doesn't bother anyone. I love the tweed settings sound great with my telecaster...my band ch and the midis :-) I am only a hobbyist and at this time even though I have read the pod handbook have not figured how to record direcly to my computer. I do not have the midi set up, but have a soundcard and recording software - clueless in NOVA. I will be looking to find out how to make it work for recording - any clues would be great!