Thread: HERE IT IS!

HERE IT IS!

managed to get our demo uploaded to soundclick. bear in mind, this was just a quick session, we spent no time dialing guitar tones, just stuck a couple of 58s in front of the amps and hit record. if you listen close it's pretty obvious which vocals were overdubbed w/ the mca sp1 and which ones were live w/ a 58.

bonefish demo on soundclick

Re: HERE IT IS!

i better not be wasting my time! :hee

seriously though man, i'll listen to them tomorrow and give you some feedback. i'm going to bed now. see you in about ten hours! keep rockin buddy! :blbros
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Re:technical stuff

in case you're interested- these were recorde live in my basement. the drums were triggered w/ an Alesis D4, w/ acouple of cheap dynamic mics on the cymbals. acoustic guitar was a thinline cort through a peavy Ecoustic direct out. rhythm electric was a samick LP copy through a blues jr. w/ a turbo tubescreamer (very low in the mix) miked w/ a 57. bass was a peavy cirrus through an ampeg tube preamp, direct out. lead was my lonestar strat through an ampeg reverberocket reissue, boss ds1 for leads, miked w/ a 58. man, the guitar tones on this recording so do not do my rig, or shanes, justice. next time we go in were gonna really fight to get our tones to track the way they sound live.

anyways, the tracks were played live, w/ vocals through 58s, with a couple of vocals recut through an mca sp1 (34th of june, monetary squeeze, and the actress *i think*), mixed on a mackie vlz1604pro, onto an ADAT, then mixed to a sony rcdw500c, with a touch of reverb from a lexicon (don't know which unit) and some heavy compression on my slide part on 34th of june (of which, i might add, i'm not tremendously proud of).

it was REALLY hard to get a groove going in that situation. i had to turn my amp WAY down to keep it from bleeding over, same with shane, and drummer tom had to lay way back or he couldn't hear the rest of us. next time were either wearing cans and isolating everything better or tracking everything seperate. it's kinda funny-'cuz of that, we come off sounding a lot more country than we really are.
    Last edited by bonefish; 04-30-2004 at 12:03 AM.

they sound pretty good to me, drums seem a little loud. but hey, you said this was recorded live. one thing i might suggest is just turning up to what sounds right, and let it bleed over. you can hear bleed on a lot of the old stones records and neil young stuff. i personally cut rhythm guitar, bass, and drums all together live. then i'll overdub the vocals, lead guitar, and any other thing that i want to put on it. that is just how i record my stuff. for others i'll do it however they want to.

i just feel that cutting stuff live has a certain sound and character to it.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

well, it was mixed by a drummer...

that's exactly the approach i'm lobbying for next time around, chuck.

BTW, in the recording guitars thread you mention using a pair of 57s-how do you position them?