Thread: Practice Amp Opinions Please

Practice Amp Opinions Please

Not to be a but I am searching for a good practice amp. Playing more of the old Rock & Roll, blues, and things that way. I'm a hacker but I can't leave it alone...just allot of fun learning songs and jamming along. Not requiring allot of volume or power which practice amps should I be trying out? Price range not the most important, but looking in the 150-350 range. I had a Blues Jr., but didn't really like it that much...I actually prefer a Pro Jr. and that is my first choice now, but I would like to take my time with this and turn over a few rocks. I also use a Pod 2.0 for playing around with jamming tracks etc. and perhaps would like to use that sometimes with the amp. I have a strat and telecaster and only pedal is a DS1.

Old Tele man

Re: Practice Amp Opinions Please

not knowing what your "budget" is, all I can advise you is that you ONLY need about 3-5 Watts for "normal" practice! And, maybe 5-15 Watts for LOUD practice....

Well I would have to say since you like the Pro Junior, get one! Those are some very cool combos. Their simplicity is what makes them so popular (volume, tone and plug in!). You can also do a great 18 watt ptp conversion on these if the bug bites. Apart from the PJ, I still like the old Champs (Silverface should be just fine). Pedal friendly and great overdriven tones. Good luck!

Forum Member

2 words for you: FENDER CHAMP.

5 class A watts of fury.

The Pro Jr is a good simple tube amp and the newer ones are very good if you like EL84 tone.

I've personally have a new Champ kit which was delivered last Thr and plan to spend a few hours putting it together and enjoying it. More older songs have probably been recorded with a Fender Champ or Deluxe in the studio than any other amp over the past fifty years.

I do have some nice amps and upscale guitars but it's nice to have a simple reasonably voiced volume wise tube amp for the sweetness.

There are a number of good Champ and Deluxe clone kits available and may be worth looking into if your into a couple of nights of smelling solder.

Look at www.missionamps.com , www.marshamps.com , www.stf-electronics.com , www.ax84.com , etc. All are within your price range and you'll learn something in the process. I have the Marsh Champ Clone waiting to be built and looking forward to the final result after my son and his family head back to NC next week.

Good luck on your tone-quest............

Hammer on.....Blair

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blair
    There are a number of good Champ and Deluxe clone kits available and may be worth looking into if your into a couple of nights of smelling solder.

Hammer on.....Blair

Allen Amps sells a 5F1 Tweed Champ kit with a 10" speaker. That's another kit for ya. www.allenamps.com . I've got a 1X12 Victoria Tweed Champ clone and I LOVE it FWIW. It's got a Weber 12A125 in it (Jensen P12Q clone).

Thanks to all replies - I believe I will look into all the kit options - I really like the idea of expanding a hobby - With golf I do all my own club work, build, change shafts, grips adjust etc...with computers build my own...now the fine soldering issues with these inarticulate fingers is going to be interesting. Thanks again for the food for research and thought!

Champ, Chimp, Chump. If you don't get the first you are one of the remaining two :)

Seriously, champs are excellent practice amps. Aerosmith just recorded a whole album using champs. If you wan't to go the DIY route make sure you do some reading, lethal voltages live inside tube amps, even when turned off. Polarized caps need to be put in the circuits observing the correct polarity otherwise you get pop, crackle, and smoke. Not trying to scare you away from the project (because most people can handle it) but just want to make sure you know what you are getting into. You can pick up a black or silverface champ for the price of some of the tweed kits (yes I know the circuits are different but the BF and SF champs still sound great).

well negated the kit through cost and unavailable time - and went to my default and purchased a pro jr. not so expensive and sounds good to my ear. perhaps I will do a kit in the future. TFF is a great source of knowledge and it is always interesting to use it as sounding board - we'll see how this adventure goes.

I'd consider the Tech-21 TM-10, unless you're set on tubes.

It does really depend on what type of practicing you'll be doing with this amp.

The Pro Juniors are great, no doubt, but I wouldn't count out the Peavey Classic 30. I have a Classic 50 410 that sounds great, and I have played through a Classic 30, and for the $$$, they're one heck of an amp.

You can always take the Peavey logo off the grille.

Just my :2c

- Scott