Thread: Itching for a new amp...

Itching for a new amp...

Well, it would seem my DRRI is a bit much for our rehearsals. I can't crank it over "2" or 2 & a half without being obnoxiously louder than my bandmates. Granted, our playing situation is unique(playing soft in a basement, the drummer using slotted sticks that hit like brushes), but I'm really into the "natural crunch" tone I get from my Champ(which I have brought to rehearsal more than once. It does the trick), and I'm really not using the DRRI to it's full potential. Playing live we'll be...and have been... miked, so I can afford to use a smaller amp. And I prefer the tone of the Champ/pushed small amp, believe it or not. I'm only using my OD pedals as a lead boost these days(a WEE bit more grit)
    So I'm gonna sell the DRRI, and invest in another small wattage combo. Probably a "boutique" job. I'm thinking of a Bad Cat Mini-Cat(it can be used to drive a larger speaker cab, so it has the potential to be louder...or at least take up a little more sonic real estate) or a Victoria 518 Champ clone. Comparable in price, but the Bad Cat has an EL84 power section vs. the Victoria's 6V6, and a 10" speaker vs. the Victoria's 8".
    If I want/need bigger down the road, either of these would fetch a decent price used. But I'm not worried about that now. The Bad Cat in particular is usable unmiked with a sane drummer. My drummer more than qualifies.
    Time wounds all heels.

Re: Itching for a new amp...

Man I gotta try me one of the Victorias. Been hearing nothing but good things about them. Which model Champ is the 518 cloned after and what are the prices like?

Forum Member

If you call up Mark Baier at Victoria amps, he'll build you anything you want. I've got a 1X12 Victoria Champ. Be aware, though, that if you go the 1X12 route, the big magnet cover on Jensen or Weber Alnico speakers won't fit. You'd have to have him specially make a cab big enough so that the 6V6 fits over the speaker magnet cover. As is, my amp won't take a P12N or a Celestion Blue. You could also order one with a Jensen P12Q without a bell cover and you'd be fine. Or try a Weber 12F150T (Think C12N with a Q cone for more treble). I've got a 12F150 (Think Jensen C12N) and it's a little dark for my tastes. I've got a 12A125 in there now (Think Jensen P12Q) with no magnet cover.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFrogs
    Man I gotta try me one of the Victorias. Been hearing nothing but good things about them. Which model Champ is the 518 cloned after and what are the prices like?
    The 5F1 champ is what the 518 is modeled after. I paid $850 for mine, but it has a 12" speaker. I believe the 8" models go for around $600-$700. If you order one with a bigger speaker, he mounts it in a Deluxe cab.

Forum Member

By the way, the Vicky has the 1/4" phone plug to plug the speaker into. As long as your cab has an impedance of 8 ohms, you can plug in a cab.

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.

I bought an SS Bronco last week, that actually sounds pretty good, especially through a 1 x 12 cab.

Yep, the Bronco might sound Ok, and I don't care what cabinet it's through. But not next to the Badcats and Vicky's. Whole different kettle of fish.

Forum Member

I've been using a great little SF Princeton Reverb for rehearsals. Probably could use it for miked gigs.

Y'know, I'm wondering if I should just by a mid-wattage tube amp with a master volume. The Reverend Kingsnake is due out in July. I've also enjoyed the Peavey Classic 30. Something about the honk of el84s...
    Time wounds all heels.

Old Tele man

a NEW guitar will DO that...make you want a NEW amp to go with it!