Thread: humbuckers in '56 relic?

humbuckers in '56 relic?

anyone changed to hums in bridge? wondered if the routing was
    sss? or hsh? or whatever? havn't looked. best playing strat i've had by far-but curious about hbs. thanks

The routing on your 56 Relic is S-S-S.

The Jimmie Vaughan signature Strat has a humbucker sized route for the bridge. You can buy the whole guitar new for around $500 and its got all the same hardware as your 56 Relic.

Thats what I'd do before I routed out an expensive Relic.

You can also get humbuckers in single coiled sized so you dont have to route but they never really sound as good as full sized humbuckers to me.
    Last edited by Marcondo; 08-18-2002 at 02:08 PM.

Don't do it man! Oh, the horror!

Seriously... It's your guitar but I wouldn't dream of it. If I was gonna drop 'buckers in a strat I'd get JV sig to do it to...
    Jason
    The Bear Guy

Forum Member

Or...

You could put in a single coil sized humbucker, thats what I did. I have a Seymour Duncan JB Jr in my Strat. I have never tried a full size in a Strat, some people say they sound better. But putting one of these in would give you an idea if you want a HB or not. Personally I love having that grind in the bridge position as I have to cover a lot of bases tonally in my band.

I've got a DiMarzio fast trac 2 single coil sized hb that I'll make you a deal on if you want. The JB Jr's are indeed really cool...
    Jason
    The Bear Guy

I'd just get a Don Grosh... already has a Tom Holmes 456 standard in the bridge.

or i'd stick in a slammin' Lindy Steel Pole or raunchy Rio Grande Stelly for some P90 like lovin' in that relic.
    Last edited by jokerjkny; 08-18-2002 at 11:17 PM.

Don't forget the Harmonic Design Super 90! That'll give you almost humbuckerish tone with single coil clarity.......

When I wanted a humbucker in a strat, I simply bought a Fat Strat and replaced all the pickups with Duncans. Routing out a Relic will significantly decrease its value if you ever want to sell it.

don't worry, i wouldn't re-route this baby, it's just that i've never
    had a strat come close to playing and feeling like this one does-owned a jap,us std, custom shop '54 flame top, and a few claptons(and every one i've picked up at all the stores), i may try a single coil sized hb though-what about a little '59?