Thread: JM ROLPH PUPS

Forum Member

JM ROLPH PUPS

has any one here had any expeirence with his pups?like the 60's model?

and whats his web site??

thanks in advanance!!!!! chris

Forum Member
    I have no experience with his pickups, but Rolph is somebody you need to talk to for information since his website isn't so hot. I'm sending you a pic of his '62 Strat pickups.

Forum Member
    i was just wondering if there any better vanzandts vintage+ or the fralin vintage hots, i have both???

chris

I would say if you have Fralin Vintage Hots Van Zandt Vintage+ Rolphs or the Peter Florance Voodoo pickups it would be a hard call to say which is better. Some guitars react differently to different pickups.

Personally I have tried the Fralin Vintage Hots in about 5 different Strats and they sounded great in all of them for me thats all I need in a Strat pickup are the Fralin Vintage Hots.

i've got the Pete Flo's and Lindy Vintage Hots, and if you like chimey, ballsy tones, the Fralins are it. actually sounded thicker than the Pete's.

the Pete Flo's are just a bit too pushy, and thinner sounding in comparison. almost like Texas Specials, but not as nearly as raspy and with a rounder articulation in the notes. sounds weird, but you just have to try 'em.

pete's the man, and i love his guitars, but i gotta go with the Lindy's.

Forum Member
    thanks guy's!! so you think i'd just be spending money ??

hey marcondo, you live in bakersfield?? i live in visalia ca! thats pretty cool !! do you play in a blues band?? i dont go to b-field to much for music, but i go to fresno alot to hear blues bands!!

what kinda gear do you play though??

chris

Hey Chris we are pretty close to each other. I lived in Visalia from 1971-1974 then moved to Bakersfield and have been here since. I do play blues but not in a band.

Right now I have an Orville Les Paul and Fender Jazz BASS.

If your ever near Bakersfield email me and we might hook up. There really arent any good places to hear music here in Bakersefield.

Forum Member

R.M. ROLPH strat pups?

well i bought some of his 62-63 strat pups! i dont know if i like them yet, i'm still trying to get them set up rite. there good but i dont know if there any better than the fralins or vanzandts!

they are very vintage sounding , also very airy sounding. i'll keep you guys posted on these pups!!

anybody else tried these out yet?

chris

when you want to buy Rolph pups, are they readily available or do you have to wait for weeks to get them??
    "Blue horse-shoe loves Andicott Steel"

Nice to hear someone was able to buy a set from him. When I called him about a set (can't remember which one now, it's been almost a year) on his website, he informed me that he had "long since" stopped making that type in a "what are you calling me about that set for you dumbass?" tone of voice, which made me think he needed to maybe update his site at some point. I never got very far with him after that, once I started telling him about the strats I had in mind for his replacement pickups, he started sounding like Mr Jamison in that Spiderman movie - "Crap. Crap. Mega-crap!"

He basically tore down every aspect of my production model strats for the next 5 minutes or so, and told me I needed to pick up a Cunnetto relic ('96-early '98 Custom Shop reissues) as that was the only strat type guitar with thin enough lacquer coating and other vintage specs to sound like a "real" strat. I actually saw a used one at a very low price about a month or so later and bought it. I kept it for a couple of months a/b'ing against the same production model strats (with Fralin VH and Rio Grande Big Bottom pups in each) I'd talked with Rolph on the phone about - although it was a decent enough sounding guitar, I wound up selling the relic. With the Rolphs in it it probably would have been the keeper, but at that point I was much too afraid to call him back...:lol2

Aside from my conversation with him - which was somewhat like walking barefoot over broken glass - I've heard good things about his pickups.

Anyway, how are you liking yours?
    "The lord will take two things so much alike that he would not mind choosing from them blindfold - and then for a great jest he will allow the slaves to choose."

Forum Member
    i bought mine from a guitar store in san jose, they had this set in stock, there like a 62-63 srat set. i paid alot of $$$ for these but i dont know if i like them yet , i'm still ajusting them.

they might be forsale, let me know if any of you guys are interested in these, we might be able to talk!!

chris

J.M. Rolph pickups are the most authentic , best sounding pups out there. His Tele and Broadcaster style pickups just kill me. People have sold his pickups as originals for big $$$ they are that EXACT, and that pisses him off. He is also one of the best "Tele" chicken pickin' players I have ever heard. You need to tread lightly when you talk to him, and you need to listen to him...he is a wise man...just my 2cents!

Registered
    A friend put a Rolph in his Esquire clone, it sounds amazing. It smokes the Fralin that was in it.

Forum Member
    there forsale! chris