Thread: Pignose

Forum Member

Pignose

Anybody have one of these? I tried searching but couldn't find anything. I was thinking about buying one for fun because they're so cheap, but I haven't ever actually tried one. Any other small amps for that price that do the trick better? Also Crossroads is my favorite movie, so obviously I want Eugene's gear.

Re: Pignose

I eneded up giving mine away over 10 years ago. I never did like its sound. I found it to be very muffled and bassy. However, it is portable and runs on batteries which is great for going to a park or street corner with your electric.

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.

I've always wanted one too, but I think they are made in China now. Frank Zappa used to do alot of recording with his....You hear it alot on the album, Apostrophe(').

I don't like them at all, but then again I don't like really small amps. A Princeton is about my minimum size limit. I think the cabinet is too small to resonate well on anything smaller (it's funny, but I feel the same way about small bodied accoustic guitars!).

My Vibro Champ rips through my Vibrolux Reverb's speakers, but sounds awful (like a speaker in a little box) through it's own.

I don't remember much about the movie Crossroads, but I doubt that was actually the Pignose that you heard, unless it was heavily processed in some way, though I might be wrong.

I think it's time to see that movie again.

Forum Member

Oh, I know that none of the guitar tracks were recorded using a pignose. Although I've heard about other people using them to record. I have just never heard one in person and was wondering what they sounded like.

It sounded very boxy to me even with the front open. I couldn't get any crispness out of it. It broke up rather quickly too and was like a bad muffled distortion pedal. It would be good for "that sound" if its what your after I guess.

It's been over a decade since I played through one but I remember trying to like it but I quickly put it aside when the Rockman units came out lol!

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.

If you are interested in a cool portable battery powered amp, check out the new Roland Microcube. I heard a demonstration of them at last week's Dallas Guitar show. For $99, they are amazing. They even have built in effects. They are worth checking in to.