Thread: anyone remember Eric Gales?

anyone remember Eric Gales?

Browsing through my CD collection I stepped across this beauty amongst my CD's. I remember the hype they made back in the early 90's around this young (19 years old I think) afro-american, playing like Hendrix on steroids.

Despite being a blues cat, I really loved the stuff that guy played (they put his stuff into the "heavy metal" cathegory... lol). I have his 2nd CD "Picture Of A Thousand Faces". Pretty heavy stuff, but gorgeous playing, great harmony vocals and tight rhythm, and a brutal, yet distinctive Strat tone. A great rock guitarist, really worth checking out IMO.

Anyone know / remember that guy? Is he still active as an artist? I haven't heard anything about him for years...
    Last edited by Homer; 08-17-2002 at 05:59 PM.
    "If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on TV telling you how to do your shit, then YOU DESERVE IT."

- Frank Zappa -

Yeah, Eric's great! About 3-4 years ago, he and his brothers put out a record called, "Left Hand Brand." Which was mainly covers.

And last year Eric put out a solo record. I have it here somewhere, but can't remember the name of it. Check on Amazon or CDNow.

TBD

Originally posted by TBoneDeluxe
    And last year Eric put out a solo record.
    He recorded that at friend's studio. He's a major crackhead.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by lure555

He recorded that at friend's studio. He's a major crackhead.
    Last I remember he was playing a SRV strat upside down and wearing a SRV hat. He had the Stevie thing going for sure.......but SRV would be the first to tell him that drugs suck. Major claim to make bro, I hope you got that from a reiliable source.

Forum Member
    I'm a big fan. I have all of his stuff and even some jams I found on Winmix with him and Derek Trucks. His solo CD was great.

I even have bootlegs from both Gales Brothers' tours in the 90's. Big inspiration for me.

Here's a link of some photos I took of him when I saw him live:

http://www.angelfire.com/blues/heretic/Gales.html

I really dig his style. He's playing Custom Shop Strats with Texas Specials and Rivera Bone Head amps.

His brother Jimmy King died a few weeks back. He was a monster too.

Jimmy,

i got this from that link you put up:

His note selection is very pentatonic but it ain't your typical Clapton fare. He connects pentatonic runs up and down the neck as opposed standard across the neck box patterns. When you hear a long pentatonic run being played fast, it sounds more open sounding and with wider intervals. It breathes! Sounds prettier and not as wanky as the easier to finger minor three note per string stuff.
    so simple, yet a great thing to keep on hand. or rather, to keep your hands doing.. thx, jimms!

i heard he was a huge Eric Johnson fan, so i can see where he got this, tho it seems so rudimentary.
    Last edited by jokerjkny; 08-18-2002 at 11:27 PM.

Originally posted by LGRooster
    Major claim to make bro, I hope you got that from a reiliable source.
    His drug problems have been well-documented, and my friend said that, while he was a cool guy, he was also a handful in the studio.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by lure555

His drug problems have been well-documented, and my friend said that, while he was a cool guy, he was also a handful in the studio.
    Sad.

Originally posted by Jimmy James
    His brother Jimmy King died a few weeks back. He was a monster too.
    Not only did I not know Jimmy King died, I didn't know he was Eric Gales' brother. Jimmy King was really good.

Shit.

Forum Member
    Was he also into drugs?

Forum Member
    Everybody has their cross to bare. The verdict isn't out on what killed Jimmy King. He had a heart attack at 37. Could be.

As far as Eric, he's had his problems and probably still does. When I met him he was drinking Long Island Ice Teas like water.

I heard he got kicked off the Kenny Wayne Sheppard tour for being caught smoking pot with Kenny Wayne. He got busted by Kenny's dad.

Nice guy though. A real southern gentleman.

Forum Member
    Well, there were 3 Gales brothers. Eugene died a while back (not sure how), Little Jimmy King died about a month or so ago (Manuel Gales). Eric is the only one left. I used to see LJK on Beale a lot when we were both working over there. He had his demons for sure, and they were the type that leads to a heart attack at 37.

FWIW, Kenny didn't need too much prodding from Eric I'm sure. He got busted by his dad doing the same thing in the dressing room at a gig here back in '97. His dad blamed it on the club employees that time.
    Do you know me? O' coase you do!!!!

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Shanghai Bill
    Well, there were 3 Gales brothers. Eugene died a while back (not sure how), Little Jimmy King died about a month or so ago (Manuel Gales). Eric is the only one left. I used to see LJK on Beale a lot when we were both working over there. He had his demons for sure, and they were the type that leads to a heart attack at 37.

FWIW, Kenny didn't need too much prodding from Eric I'm sure. He got busted by his dad doing the same thing in the dressing room at a gig here back in '97. His dad blamed it on the club employees that time.

Eugene died!? Details! I read that he co-wrote some tunes for Eric's last release "That's What I Am," but perferred to spend time with his family than tour.

There's actually two more Gales brothers. One of them is Jimmy King's twin.

Forum Member
    First off , isn't KWS like in his 20's now? Why is his dad still even on tour with him?

Damn shame about the Gales klan. I wasn't really aware. If seeing 2 brothers go this way at such an early age dosen't do it for him nothing much is going to.

Forum Member
    Jimmy.... a guy over at the FDP that has done some work with Eric was the one who told me Eugene died. We were discussing LJK's death and he mentioned that Eugene was gone too. I hadn't heard anything about it before that, but he swore that Eugene died about a year or so ago. He couldn't remember the circumstances.
    Do you know me? O' coase you do!!!!

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Shanghai Bill
    Jimmy.... a guy over at the FDP that has done some work with Eric was the one who told me Eugene died. We were discussing LJK's death and he mentioned that Eugene was gone too. I hadn't heard anything about it before that, but he swore that Eugene died about a year or so ago. He couldn't remember the circumstances.
    I just spoke to someone else who backs this up. I guess it didn't get as much publicity because he wasn't as famous as Jimmy King.

Sad as hell. Two lefty guitar playing brothers from the same family.

I was just listening to some bootlegs from the early and mid 90's of when The Gales Brothers played The Whiskey in LA. Eugene was actually leading the band and pushing a shy Eric Gales out front.

He also hyped Jimmy King too. I guess that's what big brothers do.

Mortality is a bitch.