Thread: What the.....? Wound 3rd?!

What the.....? Wound 3rd?!

Okay, yes, it's been a long time since I've changed my strings. My '73 Tele Custom has been sitting for years, while I've been at work, getting married, having kids, etc. The kids are finally old enough to get interested in guitar. So, first things first - this baby needs some new strings.

Back in the 80's when I was playing out, I always used a 10-46 set, mostly Dean Markley, but occasionally others. These sets ALWAYS had a plain third. Yesterday, I just took whatever the guy at the store recommended, and it turned out to be D'Addario. After I got the guitar strung up, I realized this set has a WOUND THIRD. Did I miss something? When did we start putting wound thirds in 10-46 sets? I thought only Jazzers and SRV used wound thirds?

I'm still debating whether I like it or not. It's, uh...different. The wound string is probably a bit easier to bend than a comparable unwound. Maybe a bit brighter (?) That's not exactly the word for it, but I don't want to get into "Guitar Player" style adjectives like 'chewy" here. (Besides, I'm fairly certain "chewy" can only be applied phasers, choruses and flangers. But I digress.)

So my real question is; how common is this? Have all the manufacturers gone over to wound thirds? Who has 'em and who doesn't? What do you play? Why?

Re: What the.....? Wound 3rd?!

Did the package say it had a wound third?

I know they make an .011 set with a wound third.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

I hunted around on the Musician's Friend site. Turns out D'Addario makes two .010-.046 sets. The EXL110 has the usual .017 plain third. The EXL110W has a larger .018 wound third, which they advertise as "heavy mid".

I never knew there was such a thing; learn sumpin' new every day. I'll probably go back to the normal set when these need replacing - in 2025, if history is any indication.

I use D'Addario flatwound 10's on my Strats and I've alway used a wound G. They just sound "right" to me, and definitely tune better than plain G's. Most people complain that they're harder to bend than plain G's, but that's never bothered me. There are several brands that make 10's and up with wound G's, but they are definitely the exception and not the rule these days.

Here's some interesting reading on the wound G issue:

http://images.onstagemag.com/files/46/0202Setuptxt.html

Old Tele man

On my 1968 Telecaster I've ALWAYS used Fender 1550's (0.011/0.048), pure nickel wound medium gauge:

E1 = 0.011 p
    B2 = 0.015 p
    G3 = 0.022 w <---wound!
    D4 = 0.032 w
    A5 = 0.040 w
    E6 = 0.048 w

Fender partnumber: 73-1550-000
    12 sets/box
    Assembled in Mexico of U.S. materials.
    Last edited by Old Tele man; 05-07-2004 at 08:06 PM.

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.

There are lots of reasons to use wound 3rds. It all depends on your application. I have guitars strung both ways.

Most likely, the guy just sold you what he had, because he doesn't know the difference, and wouldn't understand if you told him all about it while holding glowing irons to his feet. You know the kind....he barely even knows how to get to work, and wouldn't make it at all if there was a detour.

Forum Member

...gawd!

I don't like wound 3rd's that much. Yes they stay in tune better but the rut so quick. After 2 hours run your finger under them and you will see it's all hacked up.

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerine49
    Here's some interesting reading on the wound G issue:

http://images.onstagemag.com/files/46/0202Setuptxt.html
    Verifies what I've been suspecting for years