Thread: time to record

time to record

getting started on a demo this week, originals first (for a contest) then some covers to get some gigs. working with a pretty limited set-up so any suggestions would be appreciated.

here's what we've got: Mixer- Mackie VLZ 1604PRO (our nicest piece of gear)

Recorder-yamaha MT4X cassette recorder( yeah, w/ that mixer it's kinda like dropping a 454 in as chevette)

Mikes-an assortment of SM58s and 57s

Outboard gear-bunch of eqs, compressors, bbes, alesis midiverb, all stuff from our live rack (that rarely gets used).

anyways, my thinking is to record the bass and drums (triggered, with a couple of mikes for the brass) direct to one track, stick a mike on my amp in another room on another track, then go back and make another pass on guitar, then lay down the vocals. sound like i'm on the right track?

next step i've got a few options, but lets assume i go the DIY route, mix down to cassette, adding effects as needed. then i take it to a friend with a (better than my)computer and burn a cd.

so, assuming i have no money for new gear or studio time, and that's the rig i'm dealing with, can anyone suggest where i might be misstepping or offer alternative routes? (bear in mind, this isn't for release, but we still want it to sound professional).

change of plans...for the better!

we now have access to an 8-track ADAT machine. our life just got a lot easier!

**we now have access to an 8-track ADAT machine. our life just got a lot easier!**

I was gonna say, you woulda had a real hard time making something decent with just a cassette recorder unless you went direct live.
    If You Choose To Criticize...
    You Choose Your Enemies!

yep, that was the only draw back to the original plan.

our drummers brother owns a sound company, and has the weekend off, so were using his DAT machine and he's gonna help us engineer it.

looking to get 5-7 acceptable demos done over three days-that sound too optimistic? we've been playing this stuff live for 3-5 yrs, so we're pretty tight on it.

wondering about mixdown and/or mastering. can you mix down to a free track on the adat, or should we use all 8 tracks and take it somewhere?