Thread: What's a good mic?

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.

What's a good mic?

I might get to buy a new microphone soon, and I wanted you guys' opinion. I have a couple of SM58s and an SM57. I thought I might get something different. A buddy has a Sennheiser 835 that he really likes, what do you guys recommend.
    BTW, No. I'm not rich.

fezz parka
    Since you've got the dynamic stuff covered, get a LDC. The best cheap LDC I've heard is the MCA SP1. MF is selling 'em for an astonishing 39.99. MCA SP1

Forum Member
    What does LDC mean?

fezz parka
    Originally posted by Sven
    What does LDC mean?
    Large Diaprhagm Condenser. Great for vocals and a whole lot more.

Forum Member
    OK, I just figured out that you had a link posted. my PA doesn't have phantom power, so I'm not sure if a mic like that one is even going to be useful to me.

fezz parka
    LDC wouldn't be practical for a live situation anyway. I assumed it was for recording. I'm a

True dat!

Ayatollah of Dumbassollah

facebook: Stephen Doc Watson

You still need phantom power, but a good regular condenser mic really punches up the lead vocals. I'm not sure of the brand, but the band I used to mix for had one. It was a lot hotter of a mic also. I think it may have been an AKG.

You can get little photom power boxes also that are pretty cheap.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member
    Yeah, sorry, I was thinking of a live mic. Maybe I should just buy another SM58 and a SM57.

Forum Member
    Any other suggestions.

what are you going to use it on sven, and what would you consider "expensive"? cause i could reccomend a whole lot o mics for you

kick/bass mic - shure beta 52 ($175 about)

guitar and other 57/58 apps- sennheiser e609 ($110, i love this mic)

bass/kick/horns/vocals once in awhile - elcectro voice re 20 (i think about $250)

let us know more details and i'm sure we can help you find something.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

TFF Stage Crew
    Originally posted by Sven
    Any other suggestions.
    Audix

My Shures have been collecting dust since I switched over to Audix for live applications.

Electrovoice makes a million different mikes that sound great, as does AKG.

My favourite gigging mic for the last few years is a Peavey. Seriously. It has a nice bright curve and it is very easy on the wallet.

No, there are some condenser mics you can use live. The band I talked about used it live.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member
    I was thinking vocal mics. Seems like all the manufacturers, like AKG and Sennheiser make lots of models, but I don't know how to interpret the model numbers. As far as price, like $75 - $85 dollar area.

Most manufacturers have a few in that price point. The Peavey is a real good choice as they are bomb proof.
    http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Peavey-Microphones--3669
    http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--PEVPVI
    EV have a few in that range.

In that quality range, you aren't going to need much knowledge. Just get down to the store and try a couple. They'll all be about the same quality. Pick one that doesn't use batteries, and has a standard XLR connector.

Re: What's a good mic?

i just got my mca sp1 in the mail today. recording session this weekend, thanks for the tip, fezz.

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by bonefish
    i just got my mca sp1 in the mail today. recording session this weekend, thanks for the tip, fezz.
    Right on, bonefish! Let us know how the session goes...

Good ol' SM 57 (unless you want to spend $400+) hey, i use a peavy dynamic, but it's got it's hot-spots for this and that.....roll around the mic. persnicketty, must be tweaked by the performer but never fails after a crash.

I think it depends a lot of what your looking for (soundly speaking),the one that made all the difference for me was an Audio Technica(sorry i don't have the model number with me),it gave my voice more "profondness" (is that a good word ?) and i like it very much.If you want the model number i'll post it tomorrow. :)

hello, on the mic subject, the one i use is like 300 years old (almost), but i was given it, and it seems ok.
    ill give you the spec off the box, whats your opinion of the spec? good bad or unrateable...
    cardoid condenser microphone, 600ohms, cardoid pattern,flat frequency response,then stuff about wind cover/stand etc etc
    cheers
    bruce
    :dead
    ps i use it in its little stand (3 inches high)in front of my cab, to feed the pc. i also think that the position i use, against grille, in front of 1 speaker, seems ok?
    "someone that broke me up, with a corner of her smile"

www.yz25098uk.tripod.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sven
    Yeah, sorry, I was thinking of a live mic. Maybe I should just buy another SM58 and a SM57.
    Have you tried the Beta 58? Brighter and punchier than the stock 58. I swear by (not AT) mine. The Beta 57 is also a good mic. The Beta 87 is a condenser. (small diaphragm)

SVEN MUSICIANS FRIEND RUNS SPECIALS WITHIN $15 MORE THAN YOU POSTED ON SM57'S AND SM'58'S BRO THESE ARE A STANDARD IN THE INDIUSTRY AND 99% OF US MUSICIANC GOT A FEW I USE THEM ALL THE TIME VERY DURABLE AND AFFORDABLE
    SVEN MUSICIANS FRINEND SOMETIMES HAS PACKAGE DEALS AT $100 FOR THESE MICS SPECIALS YOU GET A SM'57 OR SM'58 YOUR CHOICE AND A STAND AND A 20 FOOT XLR CORD
    SO ITS A GREAT DEAL
    IMOP
    I HAPPEN TO LOVE THESE MICS AND PEAVY MAKES A KILLER MIC IN THE $200 RANGE ITS ABOUT 1
    $167 GOOD MIC ITS BUILT LIKE A TANK BUT I ALWAYS CARRY MY 4-6 SM'57'S AND SM 58"S EVERY GIG AND I NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM
    LIVE THEY ARE AFFORDABLE THE NEXT LINE UP IN SHURES ARE THE BETA'S BETA 57 AND BETA 58
    GOOD MICAS A LITTLE MORE BUT STILL GRAAT PRODUCTS

THESE MICS SHURE EV AND SENSHEISER AKG OR CAD HAVE BEEN THE MOST COMMON USED GIGED LIVE /RECORDIN MICS IN HISTORY I THINK IN RECORDIN REALMS THERE IS THIS AUSTRAILIAN MIC COMPANY LARGE CAPSULE GOLD SPUTTERD MICS FOR STUDIO AND LIVE CALEED RODE NT1 - RODE NT2 AND SO FORTH I OWN A FEW OF THESE I USE A PHANTOM POWER OFF THE BOARD KILLER MICS

THERE IS ALL SOO MANY BUT REERALOLY A LIVE STD MIC OF THE INDUSTRY IN MOST SOUND REINFORCEMENTS ARE SHURES SM57'S AND SHURES SM 58'S
    BEEN AROUND AGES JUST A INDUSTRY STAPLE WORKHORSE
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Forum Member

Thanks, LOU. But I don't have the money anymore, I spent it on that little amp.

Sven,
    I just bought 2 Sennheiser e609 instrument microphones at Guitar Center. They said people are buying these and reporting good reviews on them. I have not had a chance to try them as of yet, however reviews I have read are very favorable and they have a high sound pressure level of 157db and reportedly good for vocals, drums as well as mic'ing a guitar amp.

Forum Member

I've heard good things about Sennheiser mics all around. I just might have to pick up a couple.