Thread: Newbie Help, Facts on old Walnut Fender Bass

Forum Member

Newbie Help, Facts on old Walnut Fender Bass

Hi!

Total newbie, so please excuse me if something about this post is incorrect.

I found 1981 (thats what it was labeled as anyway), solid walnut Fender Precision bass for $699. The headstock said "Fender Precision Bass Special". I believe its serial number started with "CD", then about 5 numbers. It had all gold hardware, a shiny gold pickguard (not anodized), an EMG active pickup. I believe the neck was one piece too (!!!). Made in the USA. Oh yeah, it had a gold Badass bridge that looked original.

Can you guys tell me anything about this model? Is it a good deal? It felt great, but was set up poorly. Please write back as soon as you can, Im afraid itll sell. I cant find any info online, or in the completed items section of Ebay.

THANK YOU.

moonweasel

According to page 77 of the "Fender Bass" book that thing looks like the cat's pajamas. Scoop it up. Or tell me where it is!!
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
    still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Forum Member
    I have a 1982 walnut p-bass. Mine is 100% original and I got mine for 6 bills. I got mine much cheaper than tagged due to good customer status. I was told 200 "82" basses were made. Mine has a black pickguard /with gold hardware. And by the way your bass is also an "82" acording to MR Gearhead. The sale price is a good one, I would snatch it up even if it is not original.
    Last edited by pyrohr; 04-08-2004 at 05:40 PM.

Forum Member
    You bastards! (kidding) I had given up on someone responding to this post, so I stopped checking on it. I dont know if the bass is still there. Ill make some calls and see if I can find out. If I change my mind about it, Ill let you guys know where it is so you can call over there. Maybe I can bring my camera to take some pictures of it for yall.

Thank you very much for writing back. I am going to the big Dallas show, maybe I could sell the bass for profit there.......Thanks!

Check with the Pitters about that bass.

The Pit
    Ayatollah of Dumbassollah

facebook: Stephen Doc Watson

Forum Member
    Thanks doc!

I just posted there. Im going to re-checkout the bass tomorrow. Its my first "real" bass. I hope its good. I dont have much experience with active pickups. I may just swap it out. Thanks for the help.

-stephen

Forum Member
    I bought the bass!!! Pics soon. Thanks all!

I think this case is much older than 80's.... Is it 60's? The imprint in it has a pickup cover and a thumbrest....
    Last edited by moonweasel; 04-10-2004 at 06:02 PM.

Forum Member
    That is the same bass I have, only your pups, pickguard and knobs have been changed. Does the mini toogle switch work?

BEAUTIFUL!! CONGRATS!!
    Ayatollah of Dumbassollah

facebook: Stephen Doc Watson

Forum Member
    Last edited by moonweasel; 04-10-2004 at 11:14 PM.

Forum Member
    Pyrohr,

Cool! Yes, the mini toggle works, I think it has something to do with the active pickups. I honestly havent had much time to play the bass on an amp. I checked it out at Guitar Center and it sounded AMAZING. Best bass Ive ever heard. There is a little red LED next to the toggle, just like the one from a DOD pedal. It stays on when the bass is plugged in. The previous owner toured the world with the bass. Japan, Germany, France, and all over the US. The band he was in is a semi-famous New Orleans blues act.

Id like to track down a black guard for it. I cant say Im a big fan of the brass that is currently on it.

Does yours have active pickups? Do you have any pictures of yours? Also, the black guard, is it solid black like a 52 tele reissue? or plys (w/ black on top)?

Thanks!

stephen
    Last edited by moonweasel; 04-10-2004 at 11:16 PM.

Forum Member
    Mine is 100% original. My bass was stored away in a closet for over 15 years by it's owner (the cases hinges were all loose). It had 10 pounds of mojo on it(really gunky) and all the hardware was oxidized. I took some guitar polish and with one wipe off the cloth it all came off! I bought it with a dead battery so I only really heard the bass when I put a new one in ( a woo hoo) Yours appear to be in better condition than mine (mine has scratches on the back off the neck from the previous owner leaning it against something)

http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/...r/Walnut_P.jpg

Beautiful score! Regardless of whether it was made in the 80's, nothing says 70's like Walnut Brown and Brass (and shag carpet... and avocado green/harvest gold appliances... and gaudy split level...)

Seriously, that's a beautiful bass, get some brass or gold plated knurled knobs and a black guard would do it some justice.

Does the mini-toggle work to turn on/off the active electronics or is it a series/paralell switch?

BTW, how heavy is that sucka?
    Last edited by davey; 04-12-2004 at 07:21 AM.
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
    still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Forum Member
    ""Beautiful score! Regardless of whether it was made in the 80's, nothing says 70's like Walnut Brown and Brass (and shag carpet... and avocado green/harvest gold appliances... and gaudy split level...)

Seriously, that's a beautiful bass, get some brass or gold plated knurled knobs and a black guard would do it some justice.

Does the mini-toggle work to turn on/off the active electronics or is it a series/paralell switch?

BTW, how heavy is that sucka?"""

Hey Davey!

I agree, walnut brown and Brass = 70s heheheheh. Even more so, that standard color Fender did called walnut.

You guys think I should go the black guard route? I was thinking that tortoise might look good. With gold knobs of course.

Concerning the mini toggle, I am a little confused. Honestly Ive only played the bass for about five minutes on an amp (all I needed, it sounded amazing. I didnt care if the wiring was funky, because I know thats inexpensive to correct. The tone knob and volume work with the toggle in either position. Im not sure about the middle knob. active mid adjustment maybe? It may have been my excitement in the moment, but the toggle sounds like its a standard bypass switch for the active. It was like a "more" siwtch if that makes any sense. I have band practice tonight, so Ill really get to put this thing through its paces.

Concerning weight.... Id say it is smack between a normal les paul and a normal USA P-bass. Normal paul not meaning some crazy 8 lb, $5000 reissue. Its really not bad. Now the case is a whole other story... Its made out of cinder blocks... (ok thats what it feels like im carrying when the bass is in the case, im used to an affinity in a really shitty gig bag)

One of these days Ill get to weigh it, Ill let yall know.

Forum Member
    This bass is not as heavy as it looks. as for the three knobs

1) top or closest to pup is volume
    2)middle knob is a tone knob in passive and a treble boost knob in active mode
    3) bottom knob is a bass boost knob in active mode only.

Passive switch bypasses the pre-amp and allows you to use the middle knob for tone.