Thread: My Soapbar SE Review

Forum Member

My Soapbar SE Review

I got my Soapbar SE yesterday.

Let’s cut to the chase. This is a SUPERB guitar! Frets are great, no sharp nibs over the edge. Perfect setup right out of the box (although changed because I use 10s). Fit and finish are superb. Nice resonance to the guitar. Tuners while not the best in the world are tight and easy to adjust and it stays in tune. The tone control is a little “quick” on the adjustment (above about 3-4 you’re pretty much maxed out) but not enough to switch out. Pickups are noisy but no more so than my Strat single coils. The pickups sound really good. Not overly hot, but a nice grind. They’ll also mellow out nicely when the tone is rolled back. Great weight and very comfortable. Doesn’t weigh more than my Strat if that much. My only disappointment (and it really isn’t a disappointment) is that there is very little “burst” to the black burst. It is essentially a black guitar. If I’d known it would be that dark throughout, I’d probably have gone with the red, but I really like the black too (as does my son, he thinks it is cool).

The neck is the best part. It is nice and chunky (think kinda 59 Gibby size, big but not clubby). It is a pretty good match up with my Grosh although it has just the slightest hint of a V (not as much as say a JV or an EC Fender).

It’s a keeper! In fact, I’d actually now consider getting one of the Strat style ones just to see how it sounds.

And at $400 it is a steal.
    Still playin' the blues...

Re: My Soapbar SE Review

I just picked up a Soapbar II SE this weekend. This guitar is scary nice! Not just nice for the money, but runs with the big dogs IMO. I am blown away to say the least! I went through 3 LP Jrs, 3 SG classics, Hamer special and tried a number of faded DCs and LP Jr Specials in the last few years looking for a p90 guitar. This SBII SE is a keeper and the best of the bunch IMO. This says alot considering the Hamer Special is in my list ...

I played one for close to an hour, just like the one you linked, thebisch.
    I couldn't agree more.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Damn! I've been thinking "if only my Les Paul Junior had 2 P-90s" lately, but figured a good 2 P-90 guitar with a stop tailpiece was out of the budget and that my Junior was safe from a gas attack.

I need to try one of those.

Interesting. P-90s are my favorite pickups. So mean, yet so nice. I guess i'll keep my eyes peeled for the PRS. I've never played one, since the few they've had at the shop were waaayy to much money for a guy like me to be messin' with. These ones sound like a good deal, though. :yay

Its been almost 2 weeks with the SE II and the honeymoon is no where over yet. I have been playing more guitar at home since I got this thing than I have in a LOOONG time! This guitar flat out rocks! Sounds killer, has a nice chunky neck, is SUPER light weight and is stunning (IMO) to look at with the cream pickups, switch tip and gold knobs. Brought it to a band rehearsal, and it passed the test there as well. The only thing I need to take care of is the MASSIVE and infamous P90 hum. It is an issue for me, since I use what most here would consider high gain. Just waiting and hoping that Kinman comes through with a P90. When he does I will immediatly buy one for the bridge position.

The funnny thing is, I, as a rule, never seemed to like PRSs. I don't like fancy wood, I don't like archtop on anything besides an LP, I despise bird inlays and I think they cost too much and are vibeless. This SE II is the anti PRS PRS to me. If they made a US version of this guitar with plain flat top and all, I would be real tempted to get one.

Another note, as long as I am rambling, is when I bought the SEII, I was comparing it to a PRS Mcarty they had at the same shop. You know what? If you can believe it, the SE didn't feel all that much different.

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

I remember when the first Soapbar SE came out, I thought that it would look way better as a double cutaway. Now, I might have to get one.
    Congrats on your purchase and thanks for taking the time to give us a review!!
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by cooltone
    I remember when the first Soapbar SE came out, I thought that it would look way better as a double cutaway. Now, I might have to get one.
    Congrats on your purchase and thanks for taking the time to give us a review!!
    Check one out. If you are even slightly in the market, I am willing to bet you buy it on the spot...