Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: jazzmaster owners, say it loud!

Forum Member

Re: jazzmaster owners, say it loud!

Okay, update....

Got the Fralin rewinds back promptly...and I gotta say I think it is the best deal running. He took the CIJ pickups, rewound them (I asked him to overwind them because I'm looking for a darker sound than stock), and replaced the leads with vintage-style cloth wire.

So here's the problem...

Center position sounds great...I think someone already mentioned cranking up the reverb and hitting an Em...wow.

Rhythm switch works fine, and it sounds nice and dark. So far so good.

Neck pickup by itself sounds good, but it's a little loud. I think I may see if I can find some of that shielding paint and do some internal art...

And now we get to the crux of the matter.

Bridge pickup, by itself, is still hitting like an ice pick in the forehead. There's a sound there, but it's still too bright for me...it literally hurts for me to play in bridge position. I love the way the guitar plays, but I just can't get past the high end of the bridge pickup.

Question to all:

I know the stock electronics in Jazzmasters are 1 meg volume and tone pots.

a. What would happen if I threw a set of 250k CTS pots in there? Would it tone down the treble response at all?
    b. If downsizing the pots didn't work, would changing the value of the tone cap help?

Re: jazzmaster owners, say it loud!

from what i've read and see, just the rhythm curcuit controls are 1 meg.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"