Thread: what is your dream bass?

what is your dream bass?

i'm sure all of us here have a couple basses, and i'm sure we also have a couple in the arsenal that are gems. but i know that we all gas for something new or different from time to time. or maybe there is a bass that you'd love to own but are afraid your buddie's will laugh at you if you strap on.

so come on, what bass do you lust over.

i'll go first.

it isn't too out there, but i'd love to have a beat up ric 4001 in black. that was the first bass i ever played in a band. wish i could find another one as good as the one i played.

so....
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member
    A late 60's non-reverse Thunderbird.

Gibson won't make one, so I am.
    Almost done.

Another dream bass: a Jack Casady signature.

Yup, I'm becoming more a Gibson man every day. Tho I will always love my Black P Bass.

An Alembic I can play comfortably and reproduces the tone I hear when others play one.

I guess it's more of a "What's your dream bass playing?".

I heard Myron Dove playing a Fernandez Alembic copy through a stereo PA head years ago. I'd give my left nut to sound like that.
    Ayatollah of Dumbassollah

facebook: Stephen Doc Watson

Mine doesn't exist - least not that I'm aware of.

5-string P-bass body with a real P-bass neck pup and a Jazz bridge pup - all passive. I could go either way on the neck - but would probably prefer a J-bass neck.

Closest thing I'm aware that exists is the Reggie Hamilton CS Jazz V.

Forum Member
    Teleblues, you're in luck, but it will cost you.

THE CELINDER P MODEL 5-STRING…

www.celinder.com

A Jazz bass, with a custom-made lefty body turned around for a righty (Mosrite style). Narrower bridge like on the Fender Performer Bass, and a slightly narrower neck (at the body end) to match. Under-sting mute. 1961 style control knobs, with tone & volume for each pup. A cool custom color with matching headstock (Sapphire Blue, maybe?), rosewood, ebony, or other hardwood fretboard: 7.25" radius, skinny neck, small vintage frets.

With a Jazzmaster to match color & body shift. Like this one, only a prettier color and matching headstock. Maybe a black abalone pickguard, too...

Last edited by VibroCount; 03-25-2004 at 04:23 PM.
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

They don't make mine either...not unless I build it of course:tw59

Tele body fit into the long bass guitar profile. Jazz bass pups at the bridge and middle/neck positions...side jack plate with concentric knobs like a standard J bass. 1 5/8 nut width ebony on maple fretless neck with fat U shape....

maybe I'll build it someday after I'm done with my current project...

-Kevin
    GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    TAS: Telecaster Acquisition Syndrome
    BAS: Bass Acquisition Syndrome
    ...but I don't have SAS: Stratocaster Acquisition Syndrome...not yet anyway...

A 53-57 P body style with a rosewood fretboard and a 1.5" nut width and the matching headstock for the body style. I haven't decided if I want an old P-Bass pickup or a single Jazz pickup... G&L lightweight tuners, and a stock toploading Fender bridge, or a bridge similar to G&L's bass bridge with locking saddles.
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
    still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.
    An Alembic Stanley Clarke model that weighs half as much as any one I've seen so far.

Forum Member
    No one bass for me, I like having different sounds from different basses. But later this year I plan to build a short scale passive of my own design, bolt-on, probably all walnut with an ebony board and a single pickup at the neck.