Thread: From a mag near you: ZOOM PS-04

From a mag near you: ZOOM PS-04

Click it

Is it just that it is new? How come nobody seems to have discussed this? It is like the swiss army knife, and I am (as long as nobody talks me out of it) going to buy one (either in Germany or my wife will have a US colleague to bring one over here in a month or two)

The look cool. I think that unit might have a direct hookup to one of their drum machines. They are designed that way.

I heard people using it as backing machine also.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Originally posted by photoweborama
    I think that unit might have a direct hookup to one of their drum machines.
    What do you mean "hookup"? That they connect to one of their drum machines? I think something like that is build in.

good question.. the MRT-3 used to say that on the web site, but it does not now..... never mind....
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Thinking about it: I am more or less using it as a backing band :-) Not beeing in a band myself, I feel I need to develop better skills following A SONG, not just wanking on a solotrip. With this thing, I could, like, ... arh.. I'll just leave it there!

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman
    I have a Zoom MRS 1044. It's a 10 track digital workstation. This appears to be a palm sized 4 track version of the same thing.
    My Zoom has fully programmable drums, bass, guitar effects, amp and cab models, mastering, etc.
    Every Jam track I do is done on my Zoom. I have recorded both live amps, and acoustic guitars with a microphone, as well as simulated stuff. It's got a USB port as well so I can upload everything to computer (I'm also able to import sound clips to Cakewalk or other editing software).
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Hi cooltone

I know there is no USB port on the PS-04, but that is not serious as long as I get a Flash-card reader on the (USB port on the) computer. How much do you use external editing? And for what purposes?

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman
    Hey there, Mgade!

I was debating whether or not to go the computer recording route, when I decided to go digital.
    I eventually decided to go with a stand alone workstation, because my wife and daughter also use the computer regularly. I wanted a 'place' of my own to do my music (and not have to worry about hard drive crashes effecting the whole family).

Although I could get quite complex with external editing, mastering, etc., My computer isn't set up for that (I don't have a decent sound card or monitoring system for computer). The only thing I do externally is edit the length of my tracks and convert my files to different formats (mp3 or wav.) Sometimes I'll upload a finished tune to Cakewalk and experiment with effects and mastering tools but that's it. Everything is done on the Zoom.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Sounds like how I plan to do. Thanks for sharing!