Thread: anyone doing any recording lately?

anyone doing any recording lately?

i've just been doing some engineering, and a couple classical jobs. it feels good to get back in the studio and tweak with stuff, way different from live mixing.

a quick word to the wise, if you want to improve your recording skills do some live shows. it has helped me immensely and i am grateful i did. it can be really hard and nerve wracking, but the payoff is worth it. there is something to be said for thinking on your feet.

anyways, what about you guys.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

My band (Mr. Thingee) is rehearsing with our new drummer for our second album titled Juggernaut of Love.

It's gonna be sweet.

We have to do everything on the cheap so this dude we know just records us on his computer in his basement. He did our first album for a case of beer. It sounds awesome.

Of course, that album was just two acoustic guitar tracks and two vocal tracks.

Now we've got drums, keyboards, saxomophone, flute, four vocals.

It might take two cases of beer.

Just been too sick...again. I have quite a few things I could do...but...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

TFF Stage Crew
    About to embark on a ProTools odyssey. I got a Digidesign 002R, a Behringer ADA-8000, and an Iogear 160 Gb external firewire HD to use with my Gateway M-500 laptop (P4M 2.2 Ghz, 768 RAM).

So far my experiments have been good. I've recorded my take on TFF Jam 8 with it, remixed a 3-year-old song originally done with Cubase, recorded a solo-vocal version of the Star Spangled Banner (sung by the singer in my band because it looks like he's going to get to perform it at a local NHL game) and a few other random things.

So far I really like ProTools LE.

The big test is 3/27, when I take it all out with my band to try to record a live show. Fingers are crossed.

fezz parka
    I record or mix something everyday. :yay

I'm in one of those ruts where the purpose of recording is to remind me how much I suck

But for some reason (possibly perserverance, possibly lack of anything better to do) I keep recording.:)
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

cool to hear guys. i listened back to some stuff i recorded two years back. man i forgot the song, so i just dicked around with the mix while i was tracking a recital. i was recording on a masterlink and mixing on pro tools, i guess you could say i was bored.

fezz,

you're a producer or engineer right? just wondering, i heard that somewhere.

anyways, i have three more songs that i am going to record so i can put out a demo and get some shows. it ain't going to be any big deal, i just need to get everyone in the same room at the same time...it's hard i guess.

I have been so busy with work the last few months that the only time I get to record is on the weekends. And specifically from 5-10 am on the weekends. And because I am tracking while others are asleep, that pretty much restricts me to low volume recording. I think my wife would kill me if she awoke at 6 am to the sound of a cranked amp blaring away at mega decibles! Our bedroom is way on the other side of the house, but somehow I think she just might hear it. It makes me crazy because I have a lot of stuff that I want to lay down and no time to do it.
    I'm going to take a week's vacation sometime soon and devote the whole time to catching up on some projects.

fezz parka
    Originally posted by chuckocaster

fezz,

you're a producer or engineer right? just wondering, i heard that somewhere.

I do music for film & television. I wear both hats, and sometimes I'm a music editor, or musicologist, or musician. I produce soundtrack CD reissues, sometimes I do the restoration and mastering as well. I'm a very lucky SOB. I guess they haven't figured out I'm a !

Still got 'em fooled heh Fezz?
    :)

fezz parka
    If they only knew...

Fezz

Come to the office.
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

fezz parka
    DOH! :sean

well if you get paid and they don't know you're a dumbass, my hat is off to you. the last job i worked was a lot like that. they didn't even have a clue.