Thread: Adventures in guitar class

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.

Adventures in guitar class

I taught my first guitar class today. Whew! I'm beat!

Last year, Mrs. Sven suggested I try to hold a beginning guitar class at the local community recreation center. I made my own lesson books (see The printer always quits thread.) and bought a whole bunch of those cheap folding music stands. Well, i had even more students than they told me last time I was there. Imagine trying to teach 10 people how to tune at the same time.....it wasn't pretty.
    So, we got through the lessons that I had planned for the day, and everyone seemed pretty pleased with the class. The rec center director told me "Wow, you really packed them in." I aked what she meant. She said most first time classes only get 3 or 4 students, and I had 10.

Wish me luck, only 8 more weeks left!

go sven!

ps i need lots more smooches dr.'s orders

archie

That's pretty neat - I imagine you will learn quite a bit as well. It seems that, from my personal experience, trying to teach kids golf that it is amazing how much I really don't know. When teaching from rote - or might I say as I have always been taught, the kids question as to "why do I have to do it that way, and not this way" deserves an answer that I can not simply shoot back without a "real answer" from my experience rather than what has always been taught. Of course it has always been taught a certain way for good reasons, but when I have to reflect on how my experience makes that real it seems to add weight to the reply. Good luck, I am sure there will be allot of learning and fun going on there!

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.
    Thanks, Annie!
    *smooch* *smooch* *smooch* *smooch* *smooch*

Skip,
    Yeah, I think I'll learn a lot, too. I only have one kid in the class, then 5 teenagers and several adults of various ages. One of the teens' mom is in the class, and when I told her the long, fiberglass nails on her left hand had to go, she frowned, and said, "I know" . :lol

Originally posted by Sven
    Thanks, Annie!

Skip,
    Yeah, I think I'll learn a lot, too. I only have one kid in the class, then 5 teenagers and several adults of various ages. One of the teens' mom is in the class, and when I told her the long, fiberglass nails on her left hand had to go, she frowned, and said, "I know" . :lol
    Good Luck, Sounds like fun..... Or Hell either way... Good Luck

As for the nails, an open tuning and barre chords might make her really happy ... Dolly Parton style.... :lol :lol :lol :lol
    DAMMIT !!!! I left the house........

Originally posted by Sven
    Thanks, Annie!

Skip,
    Good Luck, Sounds like fun..... Or Hell! either way... Good Luck

As for the nails, an open tuning and barre chords might make her really happy ... Dolly Parton style.... :lol :lol :lol :lol
    DAMMIT !!!! I left the house........