Thread: New Jeff Beck pic

New Jeff Beck pic

I like the new shot below of J Beck playing the Tele-Gib. Cause We Ended As Lovers is one of my favorites of his, especially live. I wonder if that's what he was playing in the photo?

Re: New Jeff Beck pic

Originally posted by Mr. Z
    I like the new shot below of J Beck playing the Tele-Gib. Cause We Ended As Lovers is one of my favorites of his, especially live. I wonder if that's what he was playing in the photo?
    Last edited by LefthandBastard; 08-14-2002 at 06:59 PM.
    Blaming Columbine on guns is like blaming Rosie O'Donnell's fatness on spoons

Forum Member

Re: New Jeff Beck pic

Well, the shot's from The Secret Policeman's Other Ball, during which he played CWEAL. So hell, let's just say, yeah, that's exactly what he was playing in that shot!
    It is a bit embarrassing to have been concerned with
    the human problem all one's life and find at the end
    that one has no more to offer by way of
    advice than "try to be a little kinder."
    -Aldous Huxley, novelist (1894-1963)

Isn't that the guitar that Seymore Duncan gave him back in the day, way long ago?
    He's hot! He's hip! and he's hairy!

Originally posted by Jimi D
    Isn't that the guitar that Seymore Duncan gave him back in the day, way long ago?
    Yep, that's the one. As a thank you gift, Duncan got Beck's esquire he played in the Yardbirds. Pretty nice trade off! :yay

Forum Member

Yep, that's the one. As a thank you gift, Duncan got Beck's esquire he played in the Yardbirds. Pretty nice trade off! :yay
    Eh? I thought Page had Beck's old Yardbirds Esquire - that's what he used on all those LZ Tele solos?

And the way I heard the story, the Tele-Gib came about because a repair guy stole the pickups out of Beck's Oxblood Les Paul and left it sounding like crap with some new ones he swapped in instead. So SD invented the JB humbucker and installed a pair into the Tele in the picture.

Just my understanding of the legend, anyway...
    It is a bit embarrassing to have been concerned with
    the human problem all one's life and find at the end
    that one has no more to offer by way of
    advice than "try to be a little kinder."
    -Aldous Huxley, novelist (1894-1963)

Originally posted by decay-o-caster

Eh? I thought Page had Beck's old Yardbirds Esquire - that's what he used on all those LZ Tele solos?

And the way I heard the story, the Tele-Gib came about because a repair guy stole the pickups out of Beck's Oxblood Les Paul and left it sounding like crap with some new ones he swapped in instead. So SD invented the JB humbucker and installed a pair into the Tele in the picture.

I think you've got your trivia a little mixed up. Jeff Beck owned 2 teles with the Yardbirds, the first one was a blonde '59 with a rosewood neck that he soon replaced with a maple neck Esquire that he bought from John Maus of the Walker Brothers. He later gave the rosewood neck tele to Page, who used it almost exclusively during his stint with the Yardbirds.
    The oxblood Les Paul never had its pickups taken out as far as I know. I think you're referring to the stripped '60 Les Paul from his Yardbirds days that also had the neck shaved down, his initials inlayed at the 22nd fret, and a flower motif inlayed at the headstock.

Originally posted by decay-o-caster

No, Pages guitar from the Yardbirds/Led Zep is a different one. Duncan definitely has the Esquire. Also it wasn't the "Oxblood" (from Strings & Things) that lost it's pickups but the '59 that Beck stripped natural (2 double whites) that got renecked after Beck smashed it (The bacon/day book says the neck was repaired, but look at it!! it's gota new neck)