Thread: Anyone running an Mbox through a clamshell Ibook?

Anyone running an Mbox through a clamshell Ibook?

I have a 466 mhz Ibook with 256 mb ram and a 10gig hard drive. I keep getting conflicting info on running the Mbox with Protools 5.1. Anyone know anyone using?
    "Power don't come from a badge or a gun. Power comes from lying. Lying big and gettin' the whole damn world to play along with you. Once you've got everybody agreeing with what they know in their hearts ain't true, you've got 'em by the balls."
    Senator Roark - Sin City

at school i run an mbox into an older g4. my buddy runs an mbox though on his ibook. if you need help running that system email me and maybe i can help.

buttrock_king@hotmail.com
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

i was going to email ya back grito but hotmail was being bitchy tonight.

i talked to my buddy and he said that if you use the older laptops you're going to have some really bad latency problems. also, he said you should call digi design directly and talk to their tech support. tell them exactly what you are going to use and they'll let you know what to expect. he said they are pretty cool too, very helpful.

that is all i got, hope that helps.

http://www.digidesign.com/

try the site. good luck man.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Re: Anyone running an Mbox through a clamshell Ibook?

Quote Originally Posted by grito
    I have a 466 mhz Ibook with 256 mb ram and a 10gig hard drive. I keep getting conflicting info on running the Mbox with Protools 5.1. Anyone know anyone using?
    You don't have enough RAM or processor on that machine to run PT6. Is it OS 9 or OSX?

In addition, even if it's OS 9 and PT5, you'll be hard pressed to use many plug-ins, esp reverb.

I use my iBook (500 mhz dual USB) with PT6 and an MBox but only for location recording. When I get home, the sessions and files are dumped into the G4 for mixing.

Re: Anyone running an Mbox through a clamshell Ibook?

Quote Originally Posted by pbradt
    You don't have enough RAM or processor on that machine to run PT6.
    Right. I think you need a minimum of 384 MB. Digi said I needed 512 MB to use the Mbox with my eMac.