Thread: Saw a nice '59 at GRUHN's

Forum Member

Saw a nice '59 at GRUHN's

Was hanging out at George's Saturday looking at some guitars when I spotted a nice 59 Strat just being put up. nice looking two-tone . Did not play it but looks good. No idea on price.

Re: Saw a nice '59 at GRUHN's

Originally posted by 24loar
    Was hanging out at George's Saturday looking at some guitars when I spotted a nice 59 Strat just being put up. nice looking two-tone . Did not play it but looks good. No idea on price.
    I know what you mean....there was a guy who owned Sunrise Music here in town and he had a mint 59 Stratocaster and a 58 Les Paul sunburst...he let me play them ONCE under very close supervision...both set up and played wonderfully...;)

...which is why the "relic" thing does nothing for me personally.

I love Gruhn's, I have to go in there just about every time I'm in Nashville. Not exactly the type of place to find a sweet deal, but if you're looking for vintage and can afford vintage, that's the place to shop.
    There's a 59 listed on their site for $11K, that's probably it.
    So much talk about the USB port, what state is it in?

Originally posted by walshb
    I love Gruhn's, I have to go in there just about every time I'm in Nashville. Not exactly the type of place to find a sweet deal, but if you're looking for vintage and can afford vintage, that's the place to shop.
    There's a 59 listed on their site for $11K, that's probably it.
    ....and me with a $18,000 limit on a 4% Visa Card...I don't dare even look at it...I have this issue of a wife who would make my life miserable if I bought it...wish I'd picked one up in the 70s when it would have set me back $900 or less...

he let me play them ONCE under very close supervision
    That's another thing about Gruhn's. I've walked in and played guitars priced 20,000 and above and never once been hassled.
    Maybe it's because I'm in there often and they recognize me? I don't think so. The guitars are displayed in a normal fashion, often just sitting on guitar stands out in the open.
    There was one 1960 cherry red Gibson 335 that I played for about 20 minutes before looking at the sticker. The hair on the back of my neck stood up when I saw the tag - $27,000.

Forum Member
    The guys at Gruhn's are the best. Very knowledgeable and do not take offense when you ask to play any guitar. I think they realize if you play it you might buy it! This is not the case in NYC. I walk into Matt Umanov's occasionally and can't even get anyone to talk to me. Their good stuff is either behind glass or in the cordoned-off back room. I don't think I'd buy from them.

While George Gruhn is a bit eccentric, he knows more about guitars, mandolins, etc than any single person I've met. By the way, I've taken guitars to him that I got in trade from other "vintage" dealers only to find that George would not sell them as is. He really takes care to set them into proper playing condition. I also like Lark Street Music, Pittsburgh Guitars. Good people good guitars.