Thread: Headphone Recommendation?

Headphone Recommendation?

Can anyone suggest good headphones for studio use or late night playing through a Tech 21 modeling amp or POD?

I am looking for good sound reproduction. So far I have been recommended AKG K-240, Sennheiser HD-280, Fostex T-40 or T-50. Any comments on these models would be appreciated. Thanks.

TFF Stage Crew
    Try this site;

http://www.headphone.com/

I've been using my trusty K240DFs for the last 15 years and couldn't want for more...pricey but worth it.

J.R.
    I feel much more like I do now than I did when I got here.

I use Audio Technica AHA40fs studio reference headphones myself. They are not that expensive, avour $70.00.

They work very well.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

fezz parka
    I use Fostex T20's. They sound good and don't hurt my head when I wear 'em for hours at a time.

i use sony mdr-v700's. they cost about $110. but i use them when i mix live, in the studio, and just at home listening to cd's.

i had used the akg 240's before that, but i never really liked them. the sennheisers are pretty nice. don't know about the fostex.

i like the sony's cause they're comfortable, they sound great, and are ruggedly built. some people say they are too heavy, but i don't care or mind cause they feel like i could drop them off a roof and they wouldn't break.

any of those headphones are fine, the real trick is learning the way your headphones respond. it sounds dumb but you have to listen to each set. take a cd that you know really well (tone wise) and listen to that in the headphone department. don't listen to the floor music they always play. then you will know which headphones give the most accurate recreation of the cd. and this is all about your ears, cause what is too bright for some, might be just right for others.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member
    I don't know if I've unloaded my rant against the shabby, cheap materials and construction of the AKGs here or not, but if not, consider it done.

I have the extremely pricey AKG K-240DFs that had a $280 MSRP when I bought them. They look like $18.99 K-Mart jobs.

For that kind of dough, you think they might at least upholster the ear cups in something other than the cheapest possible vinyl that is almost immediately destroyed by human skin oil. You know - like you just might get from someone's EARS?

[shaking head]

Sounds OK, but what utter junk for the bucks, I swear. Whatta burn.

The cheaper versions of the K-240 line are supposedly standards in the industry, but they're apparently considered expendible supplies and are replaced pretty rapidly.
    04DEC05: Gone -- So long!

Recently I bought 2 new pairs of headphones to replace an antique set of Fostex T-20's that are simply worn out (the photos are worth a laugh).

I bought a set of Sony MDR 7506 which have been highly recommended in the circles that I frequent.

I also ended up buying a set of Ultrasone HFI 550s which are my favorites right now. The EQ is very similar to the Fostex but they are louder. Plus the spacial imaging is much better on the Ultrasones. Here's why: Ultrasone marketing spiel . I didn't believe the sales pitch either - until I tried them. Of course your mileage may vary..
    I was impressed.

Originally posted by Bongolation
    I have the extremely pricey AKG K-240DFs that had a $280 MSRP when I bought them. They look like $18.99 K-Mart jobs.

For that kind of dough, you think they might at least upholster the ear cups in something other than the cheapest possible vinyl that is almost immediately destroyed by human skin oil. You know - like you just might get from someone's EARS?

[shaking head]
    Ancient Chinese secret... clean them after you use them just like you would wipe down strings or clean any instrument after use. I said before that mine are 15 years old and they look/sound like "brand spankin' new" My .02Cdn.

J.R.

I'm an Ancient Chinese and I never wipe my headphones or my strings...
    Photoweborama

Originally posted by photoweborama
    I'm an Ancient Chinese and I never wipe my headphones or my strings...
    Keyboard player listening to nf monitors?

J.R.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by LPBlue
    I said before that mine are 15 years old and they look/sound like "brand spankin' new"
    I would bet the list price of the headphones that yours are made with different and better materials.

In any case, not covering these with leather at this price is a scandal.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by photoweborama
    I'm an Ancient Chinese...
    You're not ancient. You just feel ancient sometimes!:)

Me, I feel like ancient roadkill most of the time...

I am feeling better today. Acid reflux not as bad, and I'm getting a shot in my hand so I don't have to wear the brace. Now the shoulder hurts, but that won't be fix for some time.

Headphones...Don't buy Aiwa HP-X223's. They sound like tin cans... A waste of $35.00. But they do sound very good for headphone listening for DVD playback. They bring out a lot of the midrange detail.
    Photoweborama

Sony MDR-V600. List price is $99. They sound as good as headphones costing three times as much.
    Knowledge is the small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify. -- Ambrose Bierce