Thread: New Cray Strat

New Cray Strat

Hello all.
    I have been lurking around here for some time now. I registered here a while ago, but never posted.
    I have been an exclusive Les Paul player for the last 4 years, Suddenly I have not been able to resist the urge. Had to have a Strat in my arsenal, So after lurking and carefully reading many reviews on certain models. I decided to buy a MIM Cray strat. $529 at GC. This is the first Strat I have ever owned. I have only had it for a week now, so I will hold off on a detailed review. But quickly I will say, The tone is killer, The PU’S are as advertised. The neck is very smooth and very comfortable for me.
    I’m sure this Strat will lead me to the next level of quality Strats.

Thanks for your help guys. Your reviews and opinions proved to be very helpful and insightful.

http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0...rrent=gear.jpg

http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/0...craystrat2.jpg

Congrats on the Strat. It probably won't be your last. Now ya need a Fender Tube amp. You think that thing sounds sweet through the Marshall, try out a old Fender Tube amp. Pure heaven I tell ya.

'Tis a beaut:)
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

Congrats - she's a beaut! Those frets sure look good - did you do a fret polish once you got it home or was it like that when you bought it?

Enjoy it and welcome to TFF...

:lhg
    "The lord will take two things so much alike that he would not mind choosing from them blindfold - and then for a great jest he will allow the slaves to choose."

I haven't tweaked it at all, Still has a the factory setup which I am very pleased with. I was quite surprised with the qaulity and playabilty for a MIM Strat. I did sit down and play many MIA's. And they did have a better feel, There is definitely a difference. But I'll tell you. I played a MIA std for $849. It was sweet. bUT, IMO The cray sounded way better, I found that STRANGE!!!

The hardtail design adds sustain and the Cray has the best sounding Strat pickups of any new stock Fender.

Fender made a winner with the Cray.

Fender made a winner with the Cray.
    Amen to that, I feel very good about my selection.

Forum Member

Re: New Cray Strat

Guys, quit. Seriously. You are going to make me buy one.
    I want to die peacefully like my grandfather...not like the people in the car with him.

Forum Member

I find MIM Strats sound thin compared to MIA vintage reissues. They do feel good tho, for the $$

CT.

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

Congrats! Not a bad axe (at a fraction of the cost of your Paul, I'm guessin' )
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

... and the hits just keep on comin' outta Meh Hee Co :nelson
    Nice indeed ...

Quote Originally Posted by CocoTone
    I find MIM Strats sound thin compared to MIA vintage reissues. They do feel good tho, for the $$

CT.
    Coco happens to know something here. The PU's are not as strong as the MIA or CS PU's and the wiring is not the same gauge. Pots and resistors are a lower grade, and the caps are offshore. Nothing bad here, just let's be careful about over killing the raves. Got the info from the Fender rep who's so deadly honest about the marketing part of Fender that sometimes he doesn't paint the best picture...but at least it's honest!

fezz parka

TF and CT, maybe you guys are talking about the way MIM standard p'ups sound.

Marcondo nailed it. The MIM Crays have custom p'ups. Can only get 'em on a Cray. Fiber bobbins, cloth wire, just like the custom shop stuff. They are the best sounding strat p'ups Fender has made in a long time.

Fezz...you could be right. I suppose I should ask the Fender dude if the Cray has cut any other corners other than labor costs to get down to the listed price. When there is a piece like this out of scope, then it's not fair to use a generalized statement of quality on MIM's as a template.

All MIM guitars use the exact same 250k CTS pots all Fenders use. The MIM STD does have less expensive ceramic magnet pickups.

But the pots and caps are all the same. Its the Japanese ones with the tiny pots and cheap switch everyone ends up replacing.

I have inside pics of all my MIM Teles and Strats I've owned about 9-10 and they all have the same parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonefreak
    Coco happens to know something here. The PU's are not as strong as the MIA or CS PU's and the wiring is not the same gauge. Pots and resistors are a lower grade, and the caps are offshore. Nothing bad here, just let's be careful about over killing the raves. Got the info from the Fender rep who's so deadly honest about the marketing part of Fender that sometimes he doesn't paint the best picture...but at least it's honest!
    Talked to a Fender clinic guy regarding this also...opn the MIM models, new pickups and pot changes along with a new Trem block and you have one heck of a nice guitar. A fret dress and polish would just be icing on the cake. I did my MIM for a grand total of $450 , with case. Could not be happier.

The Cray is BEAUTY!!!!!!...enjoy!

TFF Stage Crew

Once again- we've been over this before. The term "Jap" is considered a racial slur. Since this is an international forum I would request that you edit your post or it will be deleted.
    done
    Last edited by Cogs; 05-10-2004 at 12:39 PM.

Forum Member

Were you referring to my post??

CT.

TFF Stage Crew

Post? What post?

Forum Member

Gimme a break! Everyone here knows what the reference is, and takes it for what its worth. Wasn`t meant as a racial thang, dig?? Don`t start moderating like the other forum with the word Fender in it!!

CT.

I'm going to have to agree with Coco. I know his intent was pure, and to moderate guitar pickers to this extent is to call them racist, and I don't think that's the issue here.

Forum Member

Exactly! Thanks Bud!!

CT.

TFF Stage Crew

If you think that's excessive moderation, too bad. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Forum Member

Uhoh,,I sense a power trip.

Forum Member

okey dokey! I have no probs,, but my intentions were totally innocent to begin with, and that can can be easily seen by an impassive reader, no?

CT.

Forum Member

Made in Mexico........ I just cant get used to this.................... Shame on the one time American Icon.......... Fender

Sorry
    Last edited by Bob Onit; 05-16-2004 at 09:46 AM.

Forum Member

Gotcha!!

CT.

Forum Member

Brave new world, Bob Onit.

bnorm44: it's a fine guitar and you'll get lotsa love from it, i'm sure. tele-bob's got one, that sounded great...must have some good "ju-ju" in 'em. cray's got some delicious tones.
    Shine your light.

That's right Annie, the p'ups in the Robert Cray Strat really sound terrific. I was very surprised by how good they are.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

God dammit you punks need to stop about the Cray strat. I might have to go buy one now... :fc
    "Power don't come from a badge or a gun. Power comes from lying. Lying big and gettin' the whole damn world to play along with you. Once you've got everybody agreeing with what they know in their hearts ain't true, you've got 'em by the balls."
    Senator Roark - Sin City

At $529 delivered to your door, it's a "no-brainer"! Beside, MF even threw in a free Dunlap Anniversary wah wah pedal. Yup, free!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.