Thread: I REALLY want a Jag-Stang!!!

I REALLY want a Jag-Stang!!!

Not just the Kurt Cobain thing, although I was and am a big fan. I love the look and it seems like it would be very different from anything I've ever owned. The MIJ Fenders were always pretty consistently good, sometimes great, so I don't think I'd be disappointed in the build quality...
    Any Jag-Stang owners here? I wanna hear about 'em!
    Last edited by ajay315; 09-05-2003 at 08:15 AM.

They've just been re-released by Fender! :)

Forum Member
    used one right now at the U-Box at Ishibashi... hurry hurry, step right up...

I just wish that sonic blue color was available on more models...

jag stang

i seen them on sale at SAM ASH MUSIC STORES RECENTLY pretty affordable i forget the price

but wasnt the JAGSTANG a supposed collaboration of something fender /kurt kobain were in the process of BEFORE HIS SUPPOSED SUICIDE right?

i kno i recently seen courtney love playing one of kurts guitars
    she is noisy!!! ok lousy too she is ikky but the guitar is kool
    its different i might buy one for its uniqueness
    good luck

in the kurt cobain book i just read he still liked playing his mustang he tweaked to his likings
    he was original
    read his last book of his life its depressing and unique as nervana even though i aint a huge nervana fan i migit buy a jagstang
    just for being different
    Last edited by BLUELOU; 09-13-2003 at 10:53 PM.
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Forum Member
    A lot of folks (even Fender) are calling the new JagStangs *reissues.* I think that's bullshit, they only stopped making them for about 2 years ago! To me, the guitar never went away. Anyway, I think it's a cool guitar, but still has a lot of things wrong with it that Kurt didn't get a chance to fix before he waxed his carrot. Kurt wanted Strat contours, and he hated the mustang controls and trem. If you look at the control set-up of the Cyclone, that is exactly what Kurt wanted on the Jagstang (except a stop-tail tunamatic instead of the tremolo). Also, the stock pickups on the Jagstang suck. You'll need to upgrade there. I think it's an okay guitar, but I would sooner buy Warmoth parts and build my own (Shoreline Gold, baby!) than buy the MIJ. Definately try before you buy! Or order from one of the big boys with the 40 day money back thing.

The pickups don't worry me. If I don'y like them(and I enjoy the occassional ratty tone), they go bye-bye.

There's actually a Jag-Stang fan page that has a list of popular modifications & instructions, like:how to make the trem more user-friendly. Though: IPLAYLOUD has a 1969 Mustang that he had professionally set-up & he loves it! His only complaint is the lack of sustain.
    I think I'm lusting after the vibe of it, though. It doesn't have to be my #1, just playable with a passable tone.

Update: I STILL want one!

Lets have the link to the jag-stang fans page?:tw59

Forum Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he have 2 custom built Mustangs with stop tail pieces or something along those lines

Forum Member
    They weren't custom built Mustangs, they were modded MIJ ones. They were modded with the tun-a-matic bridge and a Duncan JB in the bridge. Let me see if I can find the interview with his guitar tech-guy...

Forum Member
    This is the site: http://www.kurtsequipment.com/

Answers every question!

Forum Member

From kurtequipment.com

- Fiesta red Mustang (seen 1). Kurt received this guitar right before the first Roseland show. It came with a red swirl pickguard with white pickup covers. Earnie Bailey replaced the red tortoise pickguard with a white pearl pickguard from Chandler. It was used during the In Utero tour, most often seen with the white pearl pickguard. For the first Roseland NY show, Earnie switched the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan JB Hot Rails model in white, which is a fairly unusual pickup. When he received the Chandler pickguard, he decided black pickup covers would look better with the pearloid. This guitar was to be Kurt's first Japanese Mustang to get routed for a humbucker, the stock neck pickup only had the cover changed (59), and was fitted with a Seymour Duncan JB. Kurt later wanted all of his Mustangs routed for the JB., that is, except for the '69 competition (41).

- Sonic blue Fender Mustang with a full-sized humbucker in the bridge (seen 15, 7). There were three of these guitars, two of them set-up like below (41), one of them had the serial # 0 016988 (59). One had a red-swirl pickguard (seen 7), another a matte red pickguard. These two were sent out for the In Utero tour. The third one was never set-up or modified and stayed at Kurt's house. It never came out of its box because the "In Utero" tour people were waiting for the other Mustangs to be broken, which they never were. Earnie also never swapped out the 250k pots to 500k's when the humbucker was added as he didn't expect these guitars to last very long (59).

The Jagstang is a piece of marketing crap built on the mindless following of an equally big piece of crap...Kurt Colbain.

And that's ALL it is.

Excuse my nostalgia trip here...I found that forum a few years back while looking into Jag-Stangs because a friend told me about them. Then a few months after that, I tried to find it again...I put "Fender Jag-Stang Discussion Forum" or something like that into Google...and that's how I found the FDP and TFF :O

Tonefreak - that isn't all the Jag-Stang is. Sure, there are a lot of people who follow Nirvana just to fit in and be 'cool'...but to say that these are the be all and end all of Nirvana's fans is a little harsh. I wouldn't come on here and say similar things about, let's say, Stevie Ray Vaughn and his fanbase.

I guess you could say that you're sick of all the Kurt Worshippers who have multiple conspiracy theories..."Kurt didn't kill himself, Courtney did it"...then again, there have been theories about Elvis being abducted by aliens since before I was born.

I'm not a fan, just a song from the sixties
    i bet this really annoy's you if your a grammar freak.

Fair enough, but here's a troubled, drugged up idiot who gets so goofed up one day that he decides... " Wow, man...let's put this Mustang and Jaquar together for some F***ed up reason, and make a really cool guitar..."

And now we call it cool as well? Tis to laff, kids...

Fair enough, but let's not forget he's not the only one...

Pat metheny's "Pikasso"
    ;)

Forum Member
    gee do ya think that came with a hardcase or gig bag?
    shoganai ne

Half of the Jagstangs out there are stolen by drug fiends eventually. Fender now ships them in gunny sacks. Easier to sling over the shoulder when exiting the premises.

"Fair enough, but let's not forget he's not the only one..."

Nope...but obviously Hendrix, Clapton, Beck and Page didn't do ENUFF drugs! Had they done more, they might have had the vision to put together any two sad assed guitars to make one even sadder one.

My point there was, no matter how weird or stupid you may think that Jag-Stang looks (and I have to admit I'm not keen on it), there are other guitars made by people that are even worse. And those people aren't even on drugs, which makes it worse...they don't have an excuse

:) Well, my friend, I'll certainly give you that one!

I guess the difference I see here is that Fender, in their consumate greed, has helped glorify something that they likely know to be ridiculous. They would ordinarily never have thought of marketing such an abortion, but for the fact that Kurt Colbain brought them such a zealous demand.

Leo would never have given in to this type of market hype...he just didn't! I've played old Jaquars. I 've owned old Mustangs and Duosonics. The Jags were supposed to be rock'n roll animals with huge amounts of variations to tonal structure. They were not accepted as either. The Mustangs and Duosonics were student priced guitars of the day. Putting them together only makes sense if you're banging Courtney while on cocaine. Actually then it makes PERFECT sense!