Thread: Classical guitar pieces for a funeral?

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.

Classical guitar pieces for a funeral?

I've been asked to play for my sister in law's mother's funeral. She has cancer that has spread, and they expect her to go soon. I don't know what to play. I know there are Tombeaus and Eligies in the repertoire, but I don't have any of them rehearsed. Or should I play something happy and festive, or should I make evrything slow, and dire.

Also, they want to pay me, how much does something like that usually go for?

TFF Stage Crew
    Shalom Aleichem is the tune that David Grisman played at Jerry Garcia's memorial service. It's beautiful.

I did The Green, Green Grass Of Home and Church By The Road (one of his originals) at my Dad's memorial.
    If you can't laugh at yourself, who can?

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.
    W3ell, the poor woman's suffering ended this morning. my sis-in-law called, and I told her I just didn't feel comfortable playing that funeral.

I think it might be different if it was people I didn't know or have a connection with.

It's your gift. How can you not let "Amazing Grace" pour forth?

Shoot I've done it solo with fuzz at biker's funerals. On an accordian way out in the back-lands of Oregon with a rattlesnake sleeping by the next headstone.

Everyone deserves a song given it's best to mark their time on earth. The better you knew them the more you mean it.

"Shalom Aleichem" would be perfect (shoot I'm crying thinking about it.) You can do it!

$100 a song, Sweetpea, unless you want to just "give the gift". I usually meet people and feel good about being asked so much I don't charge more than one song for gas money and strings.