Thread: How should I handle this?

Forum Member

How should I handle this?

I've been playing in a in acoustic duo for the last three years. We're making a few bucks and having a lot of fun. Last summer we added a bass player. Since then we have been slowly moving away from the coffeehouse circuit and into the retaurant/lounge scene. In the coffeehouses and the restaurants, it's O.K. for us to do lots of slow, introspective stuff, and sit on stools. I think that as we get into a more high energy situation it would behoove us to lose the stools. We are also rehearsing a drummer and using electric on some selections wouldn't hurt either. I suggested that we do without the stools and as we add to the repertoire, concentrate more on uptempo dance material. So what tunes are on our "to learn" list? Three of James Taylor's.
    I know we have the harmonies down. I'm pretty sure that we're good enough and surprisingly heavy for an acoustic band.
    I am however a little apprehensive of booking us into a room where the laid back image, mellow sound and stools will kill us before the middle of the first set.
    Should I insist on a change, should I book a throwaway gig to see what happens or should I let these guys figure it out for themselves?

TFF Stage Crew

The next "Barenaked Ladies"

It might be a big bite, but maybe work up two shows: the coffee shop show & the club show. Some tunes would have a different arrangement, & some would be exclusive to the particular gig.

Forum Member
    It's a question of the presentation that "they" are WILLING to give. It's much easier to do the laid back thing. I don't think they realize how different a presentation will be needed in a "dance and drink" type of venue.

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.....

I'd lose the stools if you're going to play more 'club' style venues versus the coffeehouse-types.

And party tunes! Gotta play stuff folks like and can get 'in to'. We're in-process of doing the same thing right now, shunka. We're not going to lose all the heavily harmony-featured songs, but when we play in true club settings, we're gonna use those songs as accents and punctuation points within our sets. They'll have more impact that way IMHO - the audience appreciates that kind of stuff but doesn't want to be put tp sleep by it. Club patrons want energy and they want to party on a Friday and Saturday night. Gotta deliver to them what they want.

Interesting topic - we've had several conversations just like this within our own bands lately - trying to point out to one bandmate in particular that songs like "Wild Nights' and "We're Having a Party" are probablyl better choices to learn than "Wooden Ships" and "Melt with You". Sometimes he forgets we are there to entertain and not to indulge our own musical interests.

should I let these guys figure it out for themselves?
    I don't think you can take that chance. If you blow a gig - you're not likely to convince that venue (at the very least) that you've 'changed' and deserve another shot. Rack up too many gigs like that and you'll find yourselves with fewer and fewer places to play.

My :2c
    Last edited by Telebluesfan; 02-19-2004 at 08:00 AM.

Forum Member
    Exactly my thoughts. But how can I convince the other two-three guys? I'm working on a "freebee" that may be beneficial. Maybe it will sink in.

Forum Member
    I HAVEN'T USED A STOOL ON THE LAST COUPLE OF DATES AND i THOUGHT THAT maybe that would get the point across.
    I certainly don't want to bomb in the few rooms we may get a shot at.
    I would have thought that the bassist, being younger and more hip would have been on my side, but he's being pretty neutral.
    Time will tell.