Thread: What's the scoop on the Nashville ?

What's the scoop on the Nashville ?

Traded a used Peavey classic 50 2x12 yesterday for a new Nashville Tele. Traded with a guy who works at a local music store, and has the Nasville on order for himself. So I won't see it for a month.

I've never actually played one. Curious about any opinions. This one will have a maple f/b , black body with tortoise pickguard.

Thanks.
    Tonedrip

"The shrink said I'm Tonal retentive".

No one huh ?

I guess I'll find out.
    Tonedrip

TFF Stage Crew
    td--I played several Nashvilles here and there. I liked most of them a lot.

It seemed like a few years ago they were 9.5" radius but with the small fretwire, which I didn't care for. The newer ones have Med-Jumbo fretwire, which is more to my preference.

The pups weren't my favorites--the "Tex-Mex" pups. I've never gotten to play a Tele with Texas Special pups, but I've heard great things about them. The Tex-Mex though were a little bland.

I also didn't like the "Strat o tone" switching, meaning that in the middle position you get middle pup only instead of neck/bridge.

So, having said that... before I found the blue Tele I love so much, I'd often considered getting a Nashville and dropping different pups and a mega-switch in it.

Not much of a review, I know, but just my 2 centavos.

Thanks Jack,

I'm looking forward to the versatility of the Nashville. I will know after some time wether the Tex Mex p/u's will work for me. I have them in my Jimmy Vaughn Strat, and I don't mind them.

I'll be happy if the guitar has no obvious flaws and plays well. Then I'll consider the pickups. I wonder what brands are the rage these days for Teles.
    Tonedrip

TFF Stage Crew
    Cool--post a review after you get to play it a bit!

Cool guitar. I originally got one from a buddy with the intention of swapping out the pickups, but the stock ones are pretty good. I did replace the bridge with a 3-piece vintage bridge with compensated brass saddles. That made it sound more like a Tele and less like a Strat. Like Jack, I want to put a super switch or megaswitch in, so I can get the neck/bridge combination.

Heckuva guitar for the money.
    No neck, no problem

It's a guitar with an identity crisis. Doesn't know what it wants to be!
    Last edited by Tele-Bob; 02-09-2004 at 07:44 PM.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

TFF Stage Crew
    A guitar with issues... Must explain why I love my 3-pup Tele.

Every woman I dated (before I wised up and married my very normal wife) had serious issues. I was drawn to it like a moth to flame.

It does explain a lot. :tw59 Good call T-B.

Other than a studio guitar like Brent Mason uses, and that is highly specialized because of the huge body of work he does, ...I have no idea why a tele needs three damn pick-ups.

And the new Nashvill'es ( MIM's) play like dime store junk. Let's get a grip here.

fezz parka
    My Nashville parts-o-caster is my favorite guitar right now. Do get a superswitch or a regular three way and an on off toggle for the middle pickup. It ain't a tele unless you can get the neck and bridge together...
    Last edited by fezz parka; 02-12-2004 at 03:14 PM.

TFF Stage Crew
    Tonefreak, thank you for your opinion. I am fairly sure I have a grip, though.

I enjoy three pups on my main, gigging Tele because my band does a fair bit of material that benefits from the neck/mid, bridge/mid combinations.

I love Strats, but am happiest at gigs playing my Tele. Therefore, I have Tele and Strat tones available to me which makes me happy. That is why my Tele needs three damn pickups.

I have played three Nashville Teles at music stores since 2000. The first was set up poorly and didn't play well. The other two were outstanding in their feel, fully comparable to most US Teles I tried alongside them.

Like Fezz, I use a mega-switch so that my middle position is bridge/neck.

(EDIT to add Tonefreak's name to my post and my last sentence.)
    Last edited by Jack w/his radar; 02-12-2004 at 03:17 PM.

fezz parka
    Originally posted by Jack w/his radar
    Thank you for your opinion. I am fairly sure I have a grip, though.

I enjoy three pups on my main, gigging Tele because my band does a fair bit of material that benefits from the neck/mid, bridge/mid combinations.

I love Strats, but am happiest at gigs playing my Tele. Therefore, I have Tele and Strat tones available to me which makes me happy. That is why my Tele needs three damn pickups.

I have played three Nashville Teles at music stores since 2000. The first was set up poorly and didn't play well. The other two were outstanding in their feel, fully comparable to most US Teles I tried alongside them.
    What he said. :tw59

Except the Strat part. I'm bored to death with Strats.
    Last edited by fezz parka; 02-12-2004 at 03:17 PM.

Me too, Fezz. I got the Nashville for playing the one or two songs that actually require those in-between sounds. Tele feels better in my hands, and you can get it to do different things. A strat sounds like a strat no matter what you do with it. Bo-ring!
    No neck, no problem

well hopefully you'll love your nashville.......i do.

mine is white w/ rosewood FB.....and i'll bet you could use brass barrels on a maple FB. That'd be cool.

the necks are very nice...imho, i think the necks are the same as the Classic series.

i think you'll like it.

enjoy.
    Imanidiot.

tonedrip,

i like the nashville teles, and at one point considered buying one. never got around to that part though. if you can't live with out the neck/bridge combo. check out my post

http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...&threadid=6966

easy to do, and best of all it is free.

have fun with your new geetar.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Thanks everyone !

Great input here. Sounds like there are mixed feelings on this model. If it plays nice , that's more than half the battle. Then I'll spend some time playing for a while to give the pickups a fair trial.

The versatility is what appeals to me. I am of those rare breads that love both Strats and Teles. So maybe this one will work out well for me.

Feel free to keep the input coming.
    Last edited by Tonedrip; 02-12-2004 at 07:50 PM.
    Tonedrip

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Tonefreak
    Other than a studio guitar like Brent Mason uses, and that is highly specialized because of the huge body of work he does, ...I have no idea why a tele needs three damn pick-ups.
    And even wouldn't need them I think. At least in an interview he stated when he is booked for a session, he has all his stuff transfered by a company, many amps, many guitars. So he has strats, teles, Les Pauls on hand etc. The should be every sound there.

Of course the necks cannot be the same as the classic... or rather the fingerboard cannot I meant.

I don't really like three pickups in a tele either. I would like mine to have just one actually (my strat has the bridge + neck combo). Wouldn't be a tele then so I guess I should shut up now as I'm way off topic here!
    Last edited by weelie; 02-13-2004 at 02:38 AM.

"Wouldn't be a tele then so I guess I should shut up now as I'm way off topic here! "

Exactly! I still don't think the Nashville is versatile enough. Let's add a fourth one...just in front of the bridge PU, link them and create a split coil option on the link. My suggestion is a mini toggle to manage it, and let's see if this isn't even better. The Mexicans say they can do this for an extra $70.

" Let's add a fourth one...just in front of the bridge PU, link them and create a split coil option on the link. My suggestion is a mini toggle to manage it, and let's see if this isn't even better. The Mexicans say they can do this for an extra $70 .

huh? what mexicans?

....please `splain!
    Imanidiot.

fezz parka
    I still don't think the Nashville is versatile enough. Let's add a fourth one...just in front of the bridge PU, link them and create a split coil option on the link. My suggestion is a mini toggle to manage it, and let's see if this isn't even better. The Mexicans say they can do this for an extra $70.
    Que? No Lo Se?
    Last edited by fezz parka; 02-14-2004 at 10:51 PM.

Just having fun and stirring the pot....!! :)

I have a couple of MIJ 90's Tele Deluxes, which are essentially pre-Nashville guitars based on the American Deluxe Telecaster 3-pup design. The main differences are the 90's Deluxe has Strat pups in the neck & middle, and body contours like a Strat.

One simple mod that will make the Nashville a lot more versitile is to add a push-pull pot on either the volume or tone to toggle the bridge pickup on and off. This will give you the traditional Tele sounds, plus Stat-like sounds in positions 2 & 4, as well as all three pickups together. Fender could add this mod as a factory standard for just a few bucks more on each Nashville. I don't know why they won't get a clue and make this simple change. They would sell a lot more of them.
    Last edited by MIKEH; 02-15-2004 at 11:53 AM.
    Knowledge is the small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify. -- Ambrose Bierce

Yes, but what can I do do make my Telecaster sound like a Gibson Byrdland. That's a toughie!!

And what mods must I make to a Tele to get it to sound like an old BC Rich Mockingbird from 1975. Any adivice, boys?

Yes, but what can I do do make my Telecaster sound like a Gibson Byrdland. That's a toughie!!

And what mods must I make to a Tele to get it to sound like an old BC Rich Mockingbird from 1975. Any adivice, boys?
    Go buy a Line 6 Variac , and gut it. Then install the electronics into your favorite Tele. Call it a' Teliac' and start a forum .

Tonedrip

:) HAHAHA Tonedrip!

Yeah, but here's the scary thing. 10 guys would answer back and go... " WOW! That's awesome...think that would work for me?"

or, you can buy a VARIAX
    Imanidiot.

I'd rather take a dirty beating.

And my tongue is so firmly in my cheek on wanting a Tele to sound like a Mockingbird.